Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 966C hydraulic cap

nevilley ยท 2018-02-28 20:40

Hi once again and thanks for the previous replys to my other post. Another query I have is when I took the hydraulic oil tank cap off I noticed a lot of condensation under the cap. I take it this is caused thru heat of the hydraulic oil cooling down. Would any of this condensation be collected in the hydraulic filter over time.

Replies3
  1. #1kshansen2018-03-01 19:19

    Might be a good idea to check to be sure it is just water from condensation and not an oil cooler starting to leak. Assuming you are running coolant and not just water in radiator, at least I hope so, if you have access to an oil sample lab that would be a very good thing to have tested for. I know many people have a problem with the way I test for antifreeze in the condensation. What I did when in doubt was stick my tounge out and touch a drop of the liquid in question to the tip of the tongue. I have had enough antifreeze sprayed in my face over the years so I can tell instantly if there is any in that foamy stuff on the filler cap! Don't swallow it and rinse fully with barley soda if you have some available. After the first rinse with the barley soda don't waste the rest, dispose of in a proper method as recommended by the manufacture!

  2. #2nevilley2018-03-02 04:49

    Thanks for that. Looked under the cap without the loader running for a few days and has water droplets under cap. Has been cold nights as well . on the subject where on a 966B with a D333 engine is the oil cooler situated.

  3. #3kshansen2018-03-02 12:58

    Ya know I probably was wrong on that one! I believe now that I think on it the hydraulic coolers on those loaders are air to oil coolers so they don't have a way to get coolant into the oil, sorry! Now the transmission cooler on both them I thinking are on the left side of the engine which would be the right side of the machine as you are sitting in the seat! Two 1 1/2 steel lines heading towards the front of the machine.