Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Small Cam Cummins

ms0115 ยท 2018-03-01 07:21

Serial #10386524 855 Small Cam Cummins Looking for cam and followers for a 855 Small cam Cummins. Specs are unimportant, being used in a stationary sawmill motor. Let me know if you have anything or who to call. Thanks.

Replies19
  1. #1thepumpguysc2018-03-01 12:00

    I'll send a text.. give me a few minutes.

  2. #2kshansen2018-03-01 12:54

    Do you know the timing procedure for the cam followers? There is a special set of tooling to do it but with a bit of work one can manage to do the same thing with a pair of dial indicators. Have to admit I always had the tooling at the shop but I'm going to go out on a limb and bet someone here has done it shade tree method. Or maybe do a google search and you might get lucky!

  3. #3ms01152018-03-01 13:07

    Pump guy, how about give me a call at 931-231-8663. Thanks

  4. #4Former Wrench2018-03-01 14:15

    This is something that is most likely common knowledge, but if not: the gaskets for the lower cam followers also serve as shims to set the correct height. This will effect timing when setting the valves and injectors.

  5. #5ms01152018-03-01 15:49

    Thank you guys for the input on how to set up the timing. Do you have any ideas on salvage yards or after market source on the cam and followers?

  6. #6thepumpguysc2018-03-01 16:35

    I haven't gotten an answer yet..

  7. #7Vetech632018-03-01 17:45

    I actually have the tool kit................cant even remember the last time I used it.

  8. #8Junkyard2018-03-01 18:07

    Me too. Don't know that I have ever used it! Haha. Lots of old school stuff from retired techs sitting in my box in the shop....

  9. #9Former Wrench2018-03-01 18:31

    It has been about 40 years for me but if I remember it uses two dial indicators. You do 1 each, 1-2, 3-4, 5-6. One indicator is on a piston to find TDC. The other fits down the push rod shaft and sits in the roller cup. There is a method and amount of travel that is the target. By using thicker or thinner gaskets, the rocker box moves closer or away from the cam, thus changing the height since the rocker is on an angle when resting on the cam. Once it is adjusted right, the tune up settings will be true.

  10. #10kshansen2018-03-01 19:26

    Yes that is what I was referencing in my reply above! I would say this is very important if one is assembling an engine with parts bought possibly from more than one source. I don't have all the information handy these days but do recall that there are differences in the cam boxes for some versions of the 855 so the shims/gaskets that might be right for one cam follower housing might be way off for the next one.

  11. #11kshansen2018-03-01 19:47

    Well I did use the one the shop had a few times, just not often enough to get fast at it. If you want to have some fun work on a VT1710 V-12 that needs a cam replaced. There aren't cam boxes on those to shim to time the injectors. The tooling is the same but if you are off spec's you do some math to decide how much and which way the cam is out of time. Then remove cam and press off the pressed on gear, replace the key with the offset key your math told you should be right making sure you put the offset in the right direction. Then heat gear to proper temperature and reinstall the cam. Recheck and hope you did everything right. Job done? Nope, as you only did the right cam how about the cam for the left bank? While I'm rambling on off topic, one more fun fact about the Cummins 1710. When you get to adjusting the valves and injectors the number the cylinders 1-6 right and 1-6 left, sounds simple right? Anyone knows right from left, well except Cummins engineers! Just about every one else in the world determines right and left on an engine while standing at the flywheel end of the block. But Cummins says you need to stand at the timing gear end which is the other end from the flywheel. Try to remember that at 2:00AM while pulling an all-nighter to get a loader ready for 7:00AM start up after replacing all four heads after a 3:30 PM shut down. Lucky Norm and I were only a third of the way through the tune up when we realized something was not right!

  12. #12Birken Vogt2018-03-01 20:56

    More rambling, this reminds me of the 534 Ford gas engine. I got one that they had messed up all the spark plug wires and it would not run. It had the firing order cast in the manifold I think. First day of shop class they tell you #1 cylinder is the farthest forward. I tried and tried to number the cylinders front to back or left to right but nothing made sense. So I pulled the valve covers and spark plugs and used bits of wire to tell when the pistons were coming and going and watched valves opening and closing. Well I discovered #1 was on the same journal behind what would be #5 on the other bank. After rearranging the wires and putting it all back it ran perfectly.

  13. #13kshansen2018-03-01 21:37

    Sounds like an old IH V8 engine in a fuel truck converted to a water truck. One of the guys did an overhaul and after installing new cap rotor plugs and wires and it wouldn't start after much work someone found that timing was set on #8 not the "normal" #1 cylinder!

  14. #14DoyleX2018-03-02 06:22

    Just did a cam in my 1280 BC4. You will want the timing gauges. Get all new rollers for the injector followers as I found .010 in timing difference from old to new. When you start to get out on the gasket thickness the timing starts to change drastically, no more than .080 of gasket thickness. Do all 3 boxes. Could mic the old gasket pack to get you in the ballpark. Call cummins tech. They will email you the timing procedure along with your timing code for your esn. I have had cams reground but have gotten away from that because of injection timing problems and hardness quality. Could probably find a junker engine for $500 that would have everything you need. If I remember right the roller follower is the same big to small cam.

  15. #15thepumpguysc2018-03-02 07:30

    None in the shop.. sorry.

  16. #16RZucker2018-03-02 15:42

    I'm betting that was a 478?

  17. #17ms01152018-03-04 18:26

    Thanks. Found a locked up short block with a good cam and followers.

  18. #18kshansen2018-03-05 11:53

    If for nothing else I would try to salvage the gaskets under each follower and measure them to give you a starting point for the adjustment. I'd also keep the followers in the same relative location as to what cam lobes they were on in the original engine. It still would be strongly recommended that the timing be checked as there are still many variables to deal with one of which is did the guy who set up the locked up engine know what he was doing? Think I'd be asking around to see if there are any retired Cummins mechanics in the area who might have the timing tool gathering dust out in the shop. Might get the timing checked for the price of a lunch at the local bar-b-que joint!

  19. #19thepumpguysc2018-03-05 13:49

    MMM.. Bessingers..!!! x2 on measuring the cover gaskets.. it aint gonna be right but it'll getcha close.