Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 966c lift cylinders

jook24 ยท 2024-10-13 18:38

My lift cylinders are starting to leak wondering if anyone has done them any advice on removal of rods without taking whole cylinder out what torque would be on end nut.

Replies4
  1. #1Mobiltech2024-10-13 19:47

    If you have a safe way to block up the arms it is easier to just pull the rods out of the barrel. You will probably want to take them to a cylinder shop to get the rod nut removed and installed. Inspect the barrels for scoring once you have the piston and rod removed. What area of sask are you in?

  2. #2jook242024-10-13 22:52

    Thanks north east

  3. #3kshansen2024-10-14 09:18

    Been many years since I did the lift cylinders in a 966C but agree with Mobiltech. I think a few times I was able to just set the bucket on the box on the back of a ten-wheeler and use a chain jack to pull the rod and head out of the cylinder. I don't seem to have access to service manual info online any more hopefully someone can supply that info. Nige?

  4. #4jook242024-10-14 11:33

    Ok thanks was wondering about blocking arms you mentioned trailer gave me a idea I've got 60in clean out bucket can stand it up on end that should work put it under the bucket!