What causes the front differential oil of cat 966L loader to overheat .i once changed the oil recently .i use Cat TDTO 50. But if the loader works for 8 hours it will start to overheat
Brakes dragging
Ok thanks AllDodge.so what can be a problem to be specific.
No expert on wheel loaders, but looked some of them up, and the drive line feeds planetary gear sets. Brakes work off the clutch packs. There is no cooling system in the differential, so heat is generated from the clutches and brakes. I'm thinking the issue is something is not disengaging. Does the machine seem to not have as much power as before, like the brakes are dragging?
Maybe not disengaging but slipping. If the clutch packs are slipping then there would be a lot of heat generated.' Does the oil turn black and smell burnt?
I could also see it could have warped plates in the brakes. We had a 980g with the wet disc brakes that got so bad that some of the discs were actually out of order in the pack when it was disassembled. You have internal and external splined plates alternately installed in the brake packs. When disassembled found a couple plates had somehow broken and had changed position in the stacks! Agree on checking the color and smell of the brakes and checking for dragging. Also a full Serial Number may be of some help. For example: Does this machine have Axle oil cooling system. One more question while I hitting you with all these questions, what kind of work is this machine doing. Loading trucks or load and carry so it is running a long distance between getting a bucket of material. Also did the application of the machine change or did a different operator get put running the loader?
Machine operating in steep terrain with a heavy load?
More often than not, axle overheating is caused by operating conditions. Do you have access to ET to download the Product Status Report to check the frequency and duration of the overheating events? Some machines can be retro fitted with a cooler if the problem is chronic. There is a special instruction somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. What's the serial number?
When i drained the oil was black and smelling too bad .
The serial number is CAT0966LPFRS01538
The serial number is CAT0966LPFRS01538
Its just stock piling manganese and loading trucks
The machine is stock piling manganese under the shade then loading the trucks.we have different operators No oil cooler for differential oil .its got hydraulic oil cooler only but the hyraulic oil temperature is fine The serial number is CAT0966LPFRS01538
Dark, burned-smelling oil is an apparent indication of overheated brakes. This could either be down to operators or to the duty cycle of the machine, or both. Let's establish some basics with a couple of questions: - 1. How heavy is the manganese that the machine is loading (tonnes/cu.m. in loose form)..? 2. What capacity (or Part Number) of bucket is installed on the machine. 3. Is this the only loader working on the job site or are there others..? If so, what make/model of loader are the other ones..? 4. When the operators are loading the manganese do they completely fill the bucket or only part-fill it..? How's the weather in Zim at the moment.? Starting to get dry.? I worked around that neck of the woods many years ago.
No direct knowledge of a 966L but I checked SIS for the as built information and see this: And when I click on the 464-2454 I see this:\ If I'm interpreting this information correctly it looks like it does have cooler lines so my thoughts would be it has them. If that is the case then maybe the two PDF files I'm attaching could be of some help.
Hope this helps.
Are the operators experienced? When I was younger, I had a bad habit of holding my foot on the brake pedal. The front brakes would get hot, not the rear.
That was going to be the next question - are the operators using the left brake pedal #1 (which modulates the drive train as well) or the right brake pedal #7 (which doesn't) ...... One time we had an issue that only one operator on a 992G complained of axles getting hot during operation. When somebody rode with him we could see why. Turned out he was 6'-6" tall with about a 36" inseam. Even if he slid the seat all the way back when he got the throttle set he was balancing his right foot on the RH brake pedal because he couldn't tuck his legs away anyhwere else. Ergo, hot brakes ......
TThhaannkanQUOTE="kshansen, post: 889012, member: 28629"]No direct knowledge of a 966L but I checked SIS for the as built information and see this: View attachment 217287 And when I click on the 464-2454 I see this:\ View attachment 217288 If I'm interpreting this information correctly it looks like it does have cooler lines so my thoughts would be it has them. If that is the case then maybe the two PDF files I'm attaching could be of some help.[/QUOTE] Thank you so much .
I think i found a problem now.i took 1 of the operators with me today to observe the way he operates, and only to realise he operates the machine whilst the left foot is partially resting on the left brake pedal . Now if i can recall my memory nicely , 6 operators of that loader 4 of them had never came to the workshop with differential oveheating problem but only 2 used to complain, and luckily 1 of the complaining operators is the 1 who was operating whilst i was observing him unknowingly. We have 4 CAT 966L loaders but only 1 loader is having a problem. I am currently working in South Africa. Its winter time now in my motherland Zimbabwe. Your troubleshooting contributions are well appreciated.
While you are investigating potential operational issues it would possibly be an idea to take a good look under both the brake pedals for accumulated mud/dirt. This would be especially true at the end of the rainy season (that has just finished unless I'm mistaken) with operators gettiing into and out of the cab with mud all over their boots. If the floor under the pedals is not kept spotlessly clean, especially the back side closest to the operator behind the pedal pivot area, the pedal won't be able to return completely and the machine will be continually operating with the brakes applied just a touch. This might be a good time to remind operators about cab housekeeping, especially if it is posing operational problems.
That's another good point I forgot about! Years back we had another machine, believe it was a 560 Hough, that had a problem operator thought was a bad transmission, would not go into gear. Turned out the dirt under the left peddle kept just enough air going to the neutralizer valve in transmission to prevent it from moving! Pavazhira , please be sure to let us know the outcome or it more information is needed
For now i think the problem is solved. I will keep on monitoring the machine and operators.if the problem persits i will get hold of you as soon as possible
Why 966L loaders have no breathers for axle oil