Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hough loader rear wheels tilting inward

cb1 · 2020-05-10 20:16

Hello all, Quick question. I searched but couldn't find it. We have a Hough 30 that we use and it works great. We also have a 50 (possible 60, I'll have to check) that ran out of engine oil and seized about 10 years ago. We acquired a root stacking rake that would fit the 50, but before we put a good engine in it, we recall that the rear steers lean inward considerably and can't remember the cause. I know I have read about it before, but just can't find it again. Not sure if the have king pins or bearings, but that would seem like the logical answer. Want to know if the remedy for the wheels tilting in would make the engine replacement effort mute.. Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1Bls repair2020-05-11 16:40

    Photos would help

  2. #2cb12020-05-11 17:02

    If we decide to proceed, we will dig it out. There is a semi-trailer tight against the back and stuff on both sides, so pics will be forthcoming. Thanks for the reply. cb1

  3. #3Rusted2020-05-12 00:57

    Never had anything to do with Hough's, but if it's the same as a rear steer Cat, the inward leaning wheels means the trunnion bearings need to be replaced.

  4. #4Phil P2020-05-27 05:34

    That must be quite an old machine I thought Cat bought Hough out in the late 60’s. Phil P

  5. #5Rusted2020-05-27 08:39

    International bought Hough sometime in the 50's I think. They used to wear International decals and Hough model numbers. Komatsu/Dresser got involved later on.. 80's?.

  6. #6cb12020-05-27 10:54

    We'll, the problem resolved itself. Local bone yard has a Hough 50 and is buying this one for parts. More money for something a little newer. LOL. Thanks