Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 977-Multiple Questions

rrrr ยท 2015-09-04 06:21

Hi, Considering purchasing a track loader for clearing a farm I have. Trees are between 12-15 years old, so nothing too big. Would a loader be good for going in to push down trees and pop stumps? I have a chance to buy a 977L, but I'm a little skeptical. As I was inspecting it, the drive had some evidence of leaking, as well as a few cylinders. No major puddles. My next concern, there is no hour meter. The guy said he owned it for the past 20 years and used it around his farm. Says it starts right up, and runs good. I haven't test drove it yet...don't want to waste the guys time if I should steer clear. My final concern is the undercarriage. I don't know how it should be, but the bottom idlers, to me, seem a little worn down. He said he's never replaced it. I should have taken pictures to show. The guy wants 8000 bucks. Now, Im most likely going to clear my property and sell the thing. If I put 500 hours on it, I'll be surprised. I've been doing a little research and 8k sounds like a good deal, but I'm not sure. ANY advice in general would be appreciated.

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2015-09-04 07:26

    For any sort of opinion you need to post a number of photos.

  2. #2dmcschultz2015-09-04 22:14

    I was in a similar situation, looking for something to clear 27 acres of relatively small trees and stumps. I weighed the options, hire someone to come in and clear the land at a cost of anywhere between $1000 to $2000/acre or go find a tractor and do it myself. The thought being get something reasonably affordable, maybe put some money into it, use it for a couple of years and possibly sell it. I ended up buying a CAT 941B, had some years on it but was in relatively good shape. Put a root rake on the front of it and have been using it for the last year or so. Then recently I determined the bushings in the tracks were shot, as were some of the rollers and the chain itself. With a lot of help from the guys here on HEF I'm working or replacing the chains, sprocket rims, and some rollers. Sounded a bit daunting but with the help of some of these extremely knowledgeable guys on this forum I'm taking it on, costing me a bit but no where near what it would cost to hire someone.

  3. #3rrrr2015-09-05 11:22
  4. #4RBMcCloskey2015-09-05 22:43

    These limited photos show a useable bottom, but pictures of the whole machine in side view, left and right and the serial number would be very helpful. Where is the machine located, the Caterpillar dealer will measure the bottom and produce a complete condition/wear report. Bob

  5. #5Nige2015-09-06 03:29

    Track carrier rollers (bottom photo) are shot. Sprockets look to be well worn also but it's hard to see unless the photo is taken from directly side-on. As RBM says, more photos needed.

  6. #6rrrr2015-09-06 09:49

    Thanks for the replies. Test drove the machine this morning. Made a deal for 6200.

  7. #7JustinG2015-09-06 19:55

    You got it for 6200! Not bad, if it's not too beat up.

  8. #8rrrr2015-09-07 07:01

    Paint is pretty bad and it needs new glass. Fingers crossed it lasts til I'm at least halfway done my clearing.

  9. #9RBMcCloskey2015-09-07 07:12

    Pictures?

  10. #10Nige2015-09-07 10:58

    Your target should be to get it into a better state than this one ........ HeavyEquipmentForums If you make it you'll probably be due a large medal.