I recently purchased a Cat 977 with a L sticker, but I believe it to be a K. The only serial number I can find is on the engine, and it appears to read 11k 1133. After reading many threads on here all the info I can find indicates there should be 5 digits after the 11k? If anyone can help on a year or any other info it would be much appreciated. This is my first post and i would like to thank all that have contributed to this awesome forum over the years! Bobby
In that vintage there were usually only 4 digits after the prefix. Sorry not certain of the year but someone here will know. Tidy looking machine!
Today that would be written 11K01133 for ordering parts, locating service information, etc. Back in the day your tractor was built no zeros were used on S/N plates. The fact that the engine has an 11K plate makes it a D333C engine. Later models had a 3306 engine that had a different Serial Number (03N-prefix) to the tractor but I'm pretty sure that the 3306 was not introduced until the 977L came along. The 11K prefix 977K went into production in 1967. The 11K machine changed from the K to L model in 1971, not sure of the Serial Number at which that took place but from what I remember it was 11K3919. I suspect that the D333C engine model changed to a 3306 at an even higher S/N than 3919. I'll check and confirm that later. Edit: And I missed the one obvious thing on the engine S/N plate, the "K" on the line below the Serial Number. See the photo below from another 11K engine plate. Therefore you have a 977K.
Look on the back of the tractor just to the right of the left rops mount. The motor may or may not be original. Bad Bob
Bob makes a good point. Until you find something on the frame to confirm its identity you could have a machine with an engine transplant.
Thanks so much for the expertise gents, I had the concern around the engine transplant as well. It appears to have an ~10" X 10" or so plate over the battery box that is severely corroded and ineligible. I'll look at the ROPS mount again, I wish I could find a photo of one in this location. Bobby
10" x 10" is far too big for a S/N plate. If there is one the plate on the back of the rear case will be in a similar location to that shown the illustration below but because your machine has a ROPS the plate ought to be a few inches to the right. The plate will be of a similar if not identical size to the S/N plate on the engine. That photo has a rear counterweight which your machine doesn't have so don't let that fool you. If there is no plate maybe look for the signs of the rivets where the plate was and there ought to be a Serial Number stamped on the frame in the same location that might reveal itself after removing a bit of paint. The S/N plate is usually fixed right over top of the stamped number.
Hello, I am new owner of a Caterpillar 977 and pretty sure I'm in the same situation with engine block number 11k1882. Not sure but the sticker says 977L but with the low serial number I believe mine is a 977K. The plate is missing by the pedal and on the engine. Not sure which engine D333 or 3306
You really need to confirm with a machine S/N but the 11K1882 engine is a D333 from a 977K. All 11K up to 3918 were built as K models. Take a look on the rear LH corner above where the arrow is. Anything stamped there.?
Look on the left side about where your blue arrow is right above the final fill plug. That engine is a D-333C motor an early 3306. Bad Bob