Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 980 K

r00t · 2010-11-05 15:42

Looks good .. http://www.baumaschinenbilder.de/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=536545 http://www.baumaschinenbilder.de/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=536546

Replies54
  1. #1ruralexmech2010-11-05 20:41

    Whew! That's a pretty machine. The tires haven't even dusted up yet. I hope the new loader goes well for you, looks like a pretty solid machine in terms of contemporary heavy equipment.

  2. #2bobin352010-11-06 09:58

    thats a H series not a K

  3. #3Per Eriksson2010-11-06 15:26

    No, it is a K marked as an H since the new ones aren't officially released yet and just out for testing.

  4. #4r00t2010-11-13 05:43

    First two pictures again.

  5. #5r00t2010-11-13 05:45

    .. and two new ones.

  6. #6cutting edge2010-11-13 11:26

    Yikes!! At least Deere gives you a steering wheel as well,for the old dogs. LOL at the "this side up" on the overhead display.

  7. #7John C.2010-11-13 11:45

    That's quite a set of furnaces on top of that engine. One would think the heat of those would contribute as much to climate change as the emissions they put out. Maybe that machine can be plugged into apartment buildings at night instead of using hydro power or burning coal. You could make a parking spot for it in the basement and let the rising heat keep everyone warm. Just look at how much steel has to be removed before you can pull the heads. Service trucks are going to have to grow some more.

  8. #8JimBruce422010-11-13 12:40

    I wouldn't mind taking one for a spin. I like seein the option (or down right change to) of the steering joystick. Sure is a lot under the hood though

  9. #9ruralexmech2010-11-17 19:14

    HAHA! Good eye there, that's hilarious. I never would have noticed it if you didn't point it out =D

  10. #10DEERE310SG2010-11-18 15:14

    Nice Cat.:thumbsup

  11. #11Magnum2010-11-23 14:25

    It seems like that Cat has spyed a bit on Volvo with the door opening forward, the right hand side window, cab filters mounted on the right side of the cab etc. Does anyone know how it runs? Does anyone know if it is faster than the H-series?? The Cat wheelloaders that I have operated has got very poor gearshifting comfort and hunts gears all the time going uphill, I hope that they have improved this on the new ones!!

  12. #12Rille2010-12-03 09:38

    Looks nice!

  13. #13r00t2011-01-17 16:10
  14. #14Asphalt/Dirtman2011-01-17 18:54

    i think the lever be better than steering wheel, until you got moving at a good clip and bump it and veer left.........

  15. #15Wrench_one2011-01-30 19:58

    We just ordered our last 980G II to make the deadline. as of feb, if you order a 980 you will get a K model with all of the Tier 4 emmisions crap. Diesel particulate filter, EGR as well. The K looks like a great machine but there will be some limitations as far as owner serviceability because of the tier 4 stuff.

  16. #16BigIron252011-01-31 00:46

    Wow, thats quite a crazy looking machine, is cat building fighter planes or are they still in the heavy equipment business... its hard to tell! Im interested in how that steering control lever works, side to side i guess? With a push button shift?

  17. #17JimBruce422011-01-31 09:03

    The trigger switch on the steering stick is used to control direction. If my memory is correct you push the top of the trigger in for forward, the bottom of it in for reverse, and both out is Neutral. On top of the stick there would be two buttons to select gear up or down. And then yes, left or right turns the loader left or right. Might be backwards on my F/R, but I hope that helps:drinkup

  18. #18Wrench_one2011-02-01 21:55

    The joystick steer machines are really great to load with once you get the hang of it. Both of our 988H's have them.

  19. #19r00t2011-03-20 15:30

    new pictures...

  20. #20Lee-online2011-03-20 16:39

    How is it working for you? Any problems with regen. Are you regen'ing when it wants to or when the operator wants to?

  21. #21r00t2011-03-21 01:41

    Sorry! The pictures are from another forum. http://www.baumaschinenbilder.de/fo...93&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=3

  22. #22WillB2011-03-21 19:09

    I am liking SCR even more each time I see pics like this.

  23. #23rankhoss2011-03-23 23:27

    hey i got a 1980 950 cat it needs to warm up 20 to 30 minutes before it starts to move forward or back is the hydrostatic bleeding off need help thanks

  24. #24Cat Ed2011-04-04 14:32

    I am hoping one of you experts can assist me with a problem. I am working on a 980 G whose implement is failing to operate. Neither the lift nor tilt controls are operational. I have begun to trouble the fuses, controls, harnesses and hydraulic valves. I cannot find the fail. I suspect that it may be one of the pumps or the computer but I wanted to see if any of you had any experience with this issue. According to my cousin, the loader was operational and he parked it to perform the PM. After he finished he was going to get back to work and he pulled on the lift control lever, nothing. Then he tried the tilt and nothing again. Your kind assistance is greatly appreciated. Ed

  25. #25ben46a2011-04-04 15:58

    Is the implement lockout switch in the cab turned on? I know it sounds stupid but it may have been accidentally hit. Ive had a machine towed to the shop due to loss of hyd and all i had to do was flick a switch.

  26. #26Lee-online2011-04-04 17:35

    And make sure it was refilled with oil.

  27. #27PAcattech2011-04-04 23:20

    Did he drain the hydraulic oil ? If So he will have to pressurize the hydraulic tank I had this happen many times on 980Gs. I have tank cap made up so I can use air compressor .

  28. #28snowpeke2011-04-25 11:07

    Best thing cat ever did is to get rid of the steering wheel. I have been running wheel loaders for over 20 years and after that long your arm gets worn out. I hate cimbing in to the cab of them any more.

  29. #29steveop2011-04-26 08:55

    980 nearly tipping over http://www.dredgemovies.com/reclamation.html :Banghead

  30. #30NL1CAT2011-05-03 15:24

    Tipping over? The rear-wheels are just 20cm of the ground.. btw I wordked for Snijder..

  31. #31BigIron252011-05-05 01:06

    This thing has a re-gen process? That seems assinine. Does it auto re-gen or do you have to stop your prduction place the machine in park and manually re-gen? We have a 75 ton Link belt hydraulic truck crane that needs a manual re-gen. and it needs it right when it calls for it. If you ignore it we have to take it to the cat dealer where they have to tear into the machine and fix things and reset a bunch of garbage. Its such a pain in the butt, especially if your on the job or on the interstate and have to re-gen... it could be over four hours before it burns the system clean.

  32. #32CEwriter2011-05-05 10:40

    Cat says their Tier 4 Interim regens happen automatically, requiring no change in operating, with no derate of engine. You can manually override the regen as often as you like, but eventually (as back-pressure builds across the diesel particulate filter) the system will derate the engine down to limp mode until the regen cycle runs. You can manually initiate a regen as well.

  33. #33BigIron252011-05-05 15:46

    Thank you CEwriter, That makes better sense and isnt as annoying. Thats actually pretty nice it runs at full production during a regen cycle. Im guessing the regen cycle doesnt include an increase in RPMs then? Just higher exhaust temps?

  34. #34CEwriter2011-05-05 16:24

    Cat says the regens should be completely transparent to the operator -- no change in anything except a light on the dashboard (and a hotter exhaust stack). I'm not sure, but I assume they're generating regen heat by adding fuel to the filter.

  35. #35BigIron252011-05-05 16:49

    Thanks CEwriter, thats pretty cool, makes sense to me, and that really changes my thoughts on the new generation of diesel engine standards to a more positive perspective.

  36. #36Nige2011-06-25 09:21

    Bit late in the day, but the display with the "This Way Up" label on it that someone commented on is actually the screen for the spyball rear vision camera. You can see the camera mounted in the centre of the radiator cowl at a level just below the 2 floodlights. When those cameras first came out about 50% of machines that we worked on the screen was installed upside-down (it'll go in just as easy). So the supplier must have come out with the "This Way Up" label so that the guys in the factory could get the screen in right first time.

  37. #37Magnum2011-08-17 07:11

    Do they sell the K-series yet cause no one that I know of have seen one in action??

  38. #38Lee-online2011-08-17 19:21

    Yes, we have sold and still have a few 966k and 972K. They are really nice machines. The feed back in the stick steering is great. There are alot of improvements on the K's We still have a new 980H don't know when we'll see a 980K

  39. #39Magnum2011-08-18 04:40

    I guess that they will soon com the Europe then! Is the lock-up torque converter standard or optional?

  40. #40Robsop12011-09-13 12:08

    Looks tough , but I have not seen one at my dealership yet , anyone got one on a jobsite yet ?

  41. #41Nige2011-09-13 12:41

    According to the 980K Specalog the Lockup Torque Converter is an option. I'd see a need for it in load & carry operations but not for much else.

  42. #42Magnum2011-09-13 16:21

    You´re right about that Nige, it is for load & carry and you do save a lot of fuel with a lock up torque converter. I have heard some rumors that Cat have got big problems gettin the Tier 4i stuff work ok even the engines that they sell to some other manufacturer has got big time problems. Volvo have shipped machines to customers all year, where are the others??

  43. #43Per Eriksson2011-09-13 16:35

    Funny, we keep hearing the same rumors but opposite, volvo even had trouble keeping a machine running during a competetive test with Cat a while ago here. I've talked to a crusher owner that's running an older loaner machine while he wait's for hsi new 220G that's sitting in the shop waiting for rework to be done on the engine and it is brand new not yet delivered even. So I think it is mostly smack talk and we'll just have to wait too see who comes out on top.

  44. #44Magnum2011-09-14 05:22

    Ok, so was that test between a G-series Volvo and K-series Cat? Which one came out on top of that test? I´ve also heard about different updates, something about air getting into the system and sets the system out of play. But one guy I talked to in Sweden a couple of days ago runs a L220G with no problems at all regarding the "crap" under the hood. One rumor that I heard from a guy at the Swedish Volvo dealer was that the Cat machines displayed at Con-Expo had locked engine compartments and the engines where Tier 3 engines... The rumor came from Cat´s own staff which is interresting. Do you know then if there are any Cat machines delivered to customers yet cause the only thing you can find so far on the internet is Cat marketing material, no real customer photos or movies, Komatsus does´nt exist at all.

  45. #45Nige2011-09-14 10:10

    Completely agree regarding the fuel savings in a load & carry operation. However the problem with lockup torque converters on wheel loaders in my personal experience is that the freewheel stator mechanism that is necessary for the lockup to function is, shall we say, less than 100% reliable. I'd estimate more than 50% of TC failures I've seen were the one-way clutch that fixes the freewheel stator in position. In fact the 994 loader had a lockup clutch and freewheel stator as standard up to the F coming out, at which time it was removed and replaced with a fixed stator along with extra cooling to handle the higher heat rejection. Why the freewheel mechasm should be less reliable on a wheel loader than it is on an off-highway truck (which all have them) I have no idea.

  46. #46Per Eriksson2011-09-14 16:40

    First delivery of K series to customers in Sweden is planned to January/February 2012. I've personally seen and driven 2 different K loaders that has tier4 engines so they are for real.

  47. #47Magnum2011-09-29 15:16

    Ok. So how come that they are one year late? Final date for tier 3 above 130 kW was 31/12-11. I mean, it cant be on purpose or does Cat want to pay the fines for not fulfilling the emission regulations?

  48. #48NFDDJS2011-11-27 18:28

    I was in a CAT 966K last Tuesday and they are great BUT I did ask about the tier 4 and how are they not putting the DEF fluid in there equipment like lost of other people are using. I was told the CAT equipment motors are much like the CAT truck motors in the new trucks they have. What I have been reading about those new CAT trucks is that it is more or less a Internation and it you do anything with trucking they are the ONLY truck motor that is not burning the DEF fluid and they have been having many problems... I can only hope that CAT has got it right. One thing that is going to add to the cost of running these is every 8000-8500 hours you need to replace the DPF filter at $8000. This is what I was told, also the new K model will be about $12000-15000 more then the H model across the board. I dont know about you all but I dont like the new K model $12000 + $8000 more then the H model. I would like to keep that $20,000 in the first 8000 hours...

  49. #49GeoffD2011-11-27 20:25

    Cat Tier 4 uses emissions technology like on the 07 on highway truck engines. These engines are different than the engines being used in the CT 660. The tier 4 stuff has ard heads that burn off exhaust gasses thats how they are meeting emissions.

  50. #50John C.2011-11-27 21:25

    As far as the technology and extra cost goes, you don't have a choice because everybody's using some sort of pollution reduction device and everybody's prices are going up. I haven't heard of anyone that is not having some kinds of troubles with the new systems. As far as when the items have to be replaced, I've heard that no one really knows for sure because so much depends on the maintenance being done. So far everything is a wait and see.

  51. #51Lee-online2011-11-27 22:01

    Cat will be using the DEF In the tier 4 final which will be coming out in the next year or two. Right now there is only tier 4 interim, this is a stepping stone between tier 3 and tier 4 final. As for the DPF, It will need to be removed and cleaned or replaced with a reman. The time frame this happens at depends on the machine and how it is maintained, ULSD, low ash deo etc. There is a soot sensor to tell when it is full.

  52. #52NFDDJS2011-11-27 23:18

    O am not sure how long it will be before they start using DEF fluid but I do know if you talk to a CAT sales rep right now about the trucks or equipment on of the things they keep bring up is how they have set up these new motors so that they will not need to have DEF fluid at all. I know internation is doing the same thing. Also from what I was told from the CAT dealer the DPF filters are only built for around 8000 hours. I also talked to him about how much longer we should see if we are getting them cleaned with the new DPF filter cleaning machine they have and he said they were all told that the 8000 hour life expediency was with doing what they recommend for cleaning. They the DPF filters after 8000 hours of heating up and cooling off just cant hold up much after 8000 hours. I am sure some guys might see more but I have been dealing with the DPF filters on 2 of my trucks and they are an added cost we all dont need...

  53. #53Magnum2011-11-28 03:01

    There are at least two different ways of meeting the tier 4i and stage 3B regulations. One is to fine tune the engine so that the level of soot out from the engine is low but then the level of NOx is higher so then you need to add DEF fluid which brings down the NOx. The second way is to bring down the NOx in the combustion chamber but then the level of soot out of the engine is to high so you need to add a DPF and perhaps a DOC depending on if you are using passive or active regeneration. I believe that the reason for some of the manufacturers to choose the DPF solution is that it might be difficult to buy DEF fluid in some countries, the DEF fluid tanks must be heated since the liquid crystallizes below 11 degres C and it is also very agressive to metal. It is an extra cost for the machine owner to buy the DEF liquid. On the other hand, the DPF filter needs to be replaced after a while so that is also an extra cost for the machine owner. I think it will be interresting to se what will happend in january first 2014, by then probably all manufacturers will have to use both DEF fluid and DPF to meet the regulations.

  54. #54rare ss2011-11-29 05:58

    We've got the other extreme down here with SCR (DEF AdBlue) additives, our fleet runs in 40 to 50 degree heat for most of the year which the fluids dont like, they recommend temp ranges of 11/36, for onhighway trucks we only run EGR or DPF at this stage but it restricts HP due to the engines running hotter and not having enough heat displacement, we've got some Scania R620 Prime movers coming with SCR comming but