Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 980b wheel loader stuck in 4th gear!

RokMan ยท 2025-04-16 18:38

Thanks for reading this...My Cat 980b will not allow me to shift on the steering column out of 4th gear. I cannot turn that lever on the steering column. Is there a place where I might look to see if it needs lube or other? Thanks a bunch!

Replies28
  1. #1Nige2025-04-16 20:05

    Have to tried disconnecting the linkage at the bottom of the steering column to see if that part of it works.?

  2. #2RokMan2025-04-16 20:21

    I pulled the steel cover from floor and watched the linkage move as I tried to shift fwd/rev. then I tried to turn the gear lever but the handle was too slick. Then tried to grab the lever with vise grips and to no avail. Previous to this 'stuck gear' issue, I was able to turn the shifter lever with small pliers attached due to the slick grip thing. I noticed there is an arrow on that lever pointing away from the steering column. I thought to shift that transmission one has to push toward the steering column and not away [pulling]. I will get in there and see if I can disconnect the linkage to see if that works, but I have a feeling it is a simple need of lubrication on those joints [wishful thinking, perhaps--lol]. I appreciate your prompt reply and knowledge.

  3. #3pittsburgh cat man2025-04-16 20:38

    How much wear is in the pins and leavers on the linkages going to transmission try working the linkage below the floor and at the transmission

  4. #4Nige2025-04-16 21:19

    Here's what the top end looks like. As sentioned above, there are a lot of parts in the control column that can wear.

  5. #5RokMan2025-04-16 22:01

    I was able to use the vise grips and gently move the shifter back and forth and it seems to be getting easier now, so hopefully it is just a lube issue and I will get that done tomorrow...thanks so much for your knowledge and info!

  6. #6RokMan2025-04-17 17:19

    Hey Nige- would you happen to have the service pages for that Transmission shift lever assembly on how to take it apart and service it? My "service repair" manual does not have that level of detail and actually does not say squat about that steering/shift assembly. Thanks

  7. #7Nige2025-04-17 19:33

    I'm sorry I don't. The only thing available are the illustrations from the Parts Manual. There doesn't even appaear to a specification anywhere showing how they are adjusted. There are slight differences between Serial Numbers. If you post up the S/N of your loader I'll gladly upload the parts prints.

  8. #8RokMan2025-04-17 22:02

    SN/89p939 You are a good man, thanks!

  9. #9Nige2025-04-18 10:48

    Here you go. Not sure how much use it will be but if you find worn parts inside the control it could come in handy.

  10. #10RokMan2025-04-18 13:36

    Thank you!

  11. #11RokMan2025-05-01 20:36

    Hey Nige- I tried accessing Caterpillars website for a free download of parts diagram, etc. but my serial number did not go thru for some reason. I just had a hyd line blow out on the soft hydraulic line that goes to the bottom boom cylinder [passenger side-lol]. I need to know the bolt size/head size of the flange bolts holding the fittings on the cylinders, since it is tucked away in a hard to get place. Would you have any suggestions on where I can get parts list or diagrams etc? Thanks

  12. #12Nige2025-05-01 20:46

    Were you using 89p939.? If you were then try using 89P00939 and see if that works.

  13. #13RokMan2025-05-02 00:56

    I will try that...Thanks!

  14. #14Nige2025-05-02 11:24

    Is this the area of the machine you are looking for.?

  15. #15RokMan2025-05-02 13:29

    yes, I think so. I tried to register with the Cat site and it would not let me complete the process. Said "Could not process at this time, try again later..."

  16. #16Nige2025-05-02 13:44

    Here are the two illustrations corresponding to that lines group. The top illustration is "Part 1 of 2", the bottom illustration is "Part 2 of 2". The parts list for both illustrationss attached.

  17. #17RokMan2025-05-02 14:43

    Thank you. My "Service Manual" does not have good detail on photos and other data. Do you know of any full Service Repair and or Parts manual site that I can pay a small fee and download via internet? I don't mind referring to an online manual that I can print out vs having a physical one that is vague and not in great detail.

  18. #18Nige2025-05-02 17:37

    Genuine (the only type worth having IMHO) OEM Service Manuals are not available for download AFAIK. They come in paper form or on a CD. The Service Manual for your machine is Cat Pulication reference REG00698. Here is one for sale on eBay The Parts Manual is UEG0213S which covers 89P-prefix macines from first built up to S/N 2167, which includes your machine. Again here is a link to one for sale online TBH with the prices of used paper manuals online genuine new OEM manuals are comparatively expensive. A Service Manual is over $400 in paper form or $300 on a CD. A parts manual is $155 or $110. NOTE: I'm not specifically recommending any of th above sellers, simply pointing out that used versions of both of the manuals you need are for sale online and here are a couple of examples.

  19. #19RokMan2025-05-02 17:57

    You are nails! Thanks for all your knowledge and help!

  20. #20Nige2025-05-02 17:59

    Just don't expect a Service Manual from that era to be al-singing, all-dancing. Back in the day it was assmued that a person working on a machine was an intelligent time-served tradesman who only needed a little guidance for the important bits.

  21. #21RokMan2025-05-02 18:04

    Lol I hear ya on that! is there any trick to getting to the flange portions of the hydraulic lines [big boom cylinder] both upper and lower to replace the line after a blowout? If I caught this blowout before it did, I could have positioned the boom in a place to where I can get to them, but to no avail! lol

  22. #22Nige2025-05-02 20:01

    First thing to think about is how much oil is likely to come out and either be prepared for it with buckets, etc, or if there is a possibility of it draining the complete contents of the hydraulic tank then drain it first - into clean containers if you want to use it again. It depends on what type of flanges you have. For the one on the left you only have to remove 3 bolts and one half clamp to remove the end of the hose. The other half clamp and the remaining bolt stay in position, although you do have to loosen the bolt somewhat. For the one on the right only two bolts are removed along with one half clamp, leaving the other one with 2 loosened bolts holding it in position. Either of the above procedures should help you to get the end fittings of the replacement hose in place without needing six hands.

  23. #23RokMan2025-05-02 20:47

    Interesting! So the ones with the 9/16 nuts are to come out and the ones that thread into the flange can just be backed out? The blowout is at the very bottom of the hose that rubs on the frame area and I lost a lot of fluid 20 gallons or so in the blowout, but I will drain the hyd tank completely if that will keep things less messy. Is it okay to refill the hydraulic tank with 30 wt T-04 fluid [same as I use for the transmission]? It seems that is a superior oil compared to the aw-46 hyd oil.

  24. #24Nige2025-05-02 21:10

    SAE30 TO-4 is a bit on the heavy side for hydraulics. It's equivalent to an ISO 68, or maybe even a bit heavier still. Your climate is a bit too cold for that, in winter you'll struggle to get the hydraulics to work. If you want to use a TO-4 oil SAE10W is the one to go for.

  25. #25RokMan2025-05-02 21:22

    Awesome. I have that 10 w t04 as well...Thanks for all your help and have a good weekend!

  26. #26RokMan2025-05-06 20:01

    Nige, There was not a drop that came out, but I had the buckets ready--lol. I think most of the hyd. fluid leaked after the blowout with engine off. I hear a rumor that the hyd. tank takes 21 gallons, is that correct? And without pinning you down, would 15/40 delo work well for hydraulic fluid in this machine? It would be nice to keep it all the same [except for gear and trans oil], engine and hydraulics. I just got the LIFT CYLINDER soft hyd. line off and a major PITA! In my novice engineering knowledge I question, why wouldn't they just use carriage bolts in place of the hex head bolts with nuts? [ie it would be so much easier to not have to make tight quarters wrenches cutting open end wrench with grinder to get it to fit and try and get a hand behind the bottom lift cylinder for sure!] I misspoke earlier when I mentioned the "Boom Cylinder", my bad! It is the largest cylinder way on the bottom [not sure if that is boom or lift]. Thanks

  27. #27Nige2025-05-06 20:35

    Why not get hold of a Maintenance Manual and remove all doubt.? You can download one for $30 from the Cat Pubs web site. Search for SEBU5474. It covers machines from 89P906-up, which includes yours. With a machine that probably leaks as much oil as yours does I don't think it matters if you put 15W/40 oil in the hydraulics.

  28. #28RokMan2025-05-06 22:03

    I am doing that now but you need to be nice to my tight 50+ year old machine! lol I appreciate your time, thanks!