I'm planning to buy Cat 980g or 980gII for a crusher loading job. I'd like to know approximately how much fuel per hour does that machine burn? We're loading blasted rock that trucks have carried from the mine pit, so material is basically loose but quite heavy, around 8-9 tons/bucket.
It'll burn about 35 to 40 litres per hour depending on how hard you work it.
I operated a 980 GII with a 6,5 m3 spadenosebucket this summer. Load and carry uphill approximately 100m from a crusher feeding another crusher and it consumed 45-50 l/h. The 980 broke down so we borrowed a L220E with a 7 m3 bucket and it consumed 30-35 litres doing the same job. E-series Volvo´s has got L/S hydraulics witch saves a lot of fuel so if you are buying a Cat the tip is to buy a late H-series witch also has got L/S hydraulics and a bit lower fuel consumption. 10-15 litres of fuel/h means 10-15 euros more cost in just fuel for the 980.
980H still has the old type of hydraulics, 972 is the biggest H that has L/S.
Old type fixed displacement are not necessarily bad. They're very reliable and much cheaper to fix than variable displacement systems.
hrm.. this post is not concerning the ts's question, but the numbers on Volvos. I drive a 220D and a 220F, stockpiling crushed rock, and loading trucks. Each machine carries about 2.000 tons material to piles, and loads between 1.000 and 2.000 tons on trucks each day. It's about 100 kilometres of wheeling every day, and it's pushing the pedal to the bottom mostly. Both consumes about 25/L hour. A couple liters up or down..
Cat 980 G is not known to be the most fueleconomic wheelloader on the market that is for sure!
AJH77 8-9 tons/bucket I will get a 972 size loader I agree with r00t, it is hard to get a volvo 220 over 25L/hour
The rule of thumb in a marine application is horsepower times 5% = gallons per hour. This engines are ran at 80% throttle. Most equimpent operate under a more varied load so consumption is usually less. The formula for gas engines is horsepower times 10% = gallons per hour. So a 380 horsepower gas engine could consume 38 gallons per hour!
972 is not big enough. 8-9tons/bucket is average value. I'll need 30tons loader for peak hours
Well yeah, but it's still got the awesome 3406 in it! You can't beat an engine that's served pretty reliably for what, 30 some years? The 980G has great power, or at least ours does. I'm not sure what it uses in a day but in my experience Fuel = Power
Our 980g loaders burn about 6-8 gallons per hour. The 2KRs burn a little more and the AWHs burn a little less.