Anyone had a Neutral Safety Start Switch on a loader go bad? I was using my old FL90 loader last week ,& after trying to start her up after a short break....NOTHING! No click,no noise at all from the starter. Prior to this,the loader was starting easily,with no indication of failure. I'm thinking it's the switch,as batteries are OK & starter & wires look good & clean.Key switch is working. Looks like the Safety switch is located on the trans control valve. I'm wondering the best way to bypass this function,until I can import a new switch,which will take a few weeks. Any ideas are appreciated. The loader is used only for rural property work. Thanks, Jim
Shouldn't be a problem Jim. If you suspect it to be a faulty neutral switch, and you can locate the switch, you typically jump (or join) the two wires on the neutral switch. Not certain about your machine though, that's just the way they typically work.
Thanks Atco, I thought it might be that simple,but the question is always worth asking. If I isolate that switch & I still have a problem,I'll go to the (hard to get at) starter. This is the first small loader I've operated,& I can't believe how handy it is on a rural property. Jim
Yep, next thing would be get to the starter and check that it has proper power and good ground, and check that the switch wire is sending a voltage input to the starter solenoid. Your machine could have a relay solenoid as well controlling the starter that has failed, something to be on the lookout for.
Atco, The wiring diagram shows a relay,but it's all been changed over the years. I'll look for it anyway,& see if it's a problem too. Thanks again, Jim
No worries Jim. Not cranking can be such a hassle, but it's really not hard to troubleshoot like other wiring problems. First one must insure that battery connections are confirmed good and battery hot, must have good ground (earth) to starter and frame, then it's just a matter of checking switch circuit to starter. You should be able to sort it out without great difficulty.