Good evening, Working on a Cat 980H s/n JMS02203 It will not go into gear, forward or reverse. Checked with ET and all the electronics appear to be working as far as operator inputs, park brake switch, etc. the thing that is odd to me is, when you select forward or reverse you get a status flag that says "latched to neutral' The park brake is released, all switches are in a correct position, but I keep getting this message. The only other time I've see that message was on 836K compacter, it gives that when you put it in gear without moving the steering joystick lock. This machine has the steering wheel mounted transmission controls so it doesn't have that lock. I was thinking it could possibly have something to do with the neutralizer pedal, but there is a switch that turns that function off and it won't shift into gear weather its off or on. I will be back working on it sometime tomorrow. If anyone has any ideas or knows why its saying "latched to neutral" please let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it. Many Thanks, CB
Are you sure you don't have any active fault codes? This typically happens with a torque converter lockup clutch solenoid fault, in my experience.
I agree. I'd suggest to download a Product Status Report in pdf and post it up here so that we can have a look at the Diagnostic Code history. Also take a good look at whether or not you have Logged Codes that suddenly go Active when you shift from neutral into any gear. That could also provide a clue. EDIT: Another thought. I wonder if for some reason the electronics are not detecting that the park brake is released.? If you try to shift into gear and get the "latched to neutral" message, shift to neutral and then shift straight back into gear again. When you do that does it take the gear the 2nd time of asking.?
Cmark, there are a couple active codes but they have been there for awhile. I'm about to head back to the machine now to download the status report and do some more testing. I will report back when I'm back at the shop. Thanks
I'm gonna get the status report here in a few. I will also try the test with the park brake. Thanks
You can see the status of the neutralizer switch in the brake pedal on et status screen.
Well, was on my way back to the machine when I got a message that it miraculously started working again. They are using it now so I will have to get the status report this evening. I'm sure its going to act up again, at least that is how it usually goes.
Sorry for starting a thread then disappearing. The machine ran fine for a day and a half then wouldn't go into gear at all again. The FNR switch, upshift and downshift switches, parking brake switch, and neutralizer all checked out good on ET. The machine also had a leak that was coming from the top of the transmission, so I removed the sheet metal from behind the cab to get to the leak and the harness. Found the wires to clutch solenoid 6 (I believe it was. The forward most solenoid) were shorted. The insulation on several other wires had turned to goo. Also found that the oil was leaking from several of the clutch solenoid housings. Replaced the harness, resealed all the shift valves housings, and replaced the coils as they were hard and brittle and a few of them broke while disassembling them. Did the calibrations and it runs like it used to.