Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 988a transmission screen

MattR · 2024-08-07 16:11

Can anyone tell me or show me a diagram where the transmission screen is on a 988a? If it even has one? The machine was running fine this morning and the operator went to switch from reverse to forward and it simply wouldn't move again. It doesn't attempt, doesn't change the engine sound, doesn't even try. Checked all the linkages and normal stuff. Everything looks fine. We pulled the transmission filter and it is pretty bad. It was actually starting to implode. I have a new one ordered for tomorrow. But while it is down we'll probably be a good idea to check the transmission suction screen if it has one. Thank you

Replies16
  1. #1Nige2024-08-07 16:48

    Give us a clue........... Serial Number.? 87A-something.?

  2. #2MattR2024-08-07 18:17

    Yep it's an 87a. The guys are checking on the rest of the number now

  3. #3MattR2024-08-07 19:40

    Yep. Sorry. 87a784. Thank you

  4. #4Nige2024-08-08 05:13

    Bottom RH corner of the illustration.

  5. #5MattR2024-08-08 06:10

    Thank you so much nige. Looks like I need to drain the whole thing in order to pull it out? I am working on getting a service book for this. By chance can you tell me the capacity of the oil? I'm sure it calls for 30 weight? We changed it once when we changed the oil cooler, but that was a long time ago

  6. #6Nige2024-08-08 06:27

    You'd better, otherwise you'll get a shower. The recommended oil is SAE30 TO-4. Can't see the capacity off hand. Fill to the dipstick (oil warm, engine idling in neutral) is the best advice. Click this LINK put GEG00992 in the box and click Search. You can download a Lube & Maintenance Guide for $30.

  7. #7kshansen2024-08-08 14:51

    Transmission oil capacity for a 988A should be around 17 Gallons, or at least that is what the service manual for a 87A4471 and up machine calls for and from memory the older machines were almost the same in the transmission section!

  8. #8MattR2024-08-15 13:12

    Thank you.

  9. #9MattR2024-08-15 13:15

    Nige, that link doesn't get me anywhere. Is there another one? We did a pressure test on the top of the filter housing. We had 325 lb. And when the transmission was selected to go into any of the gears, the pressure didn't even move a needle worth. Nothing at all. I've been hearing I should start at the neutral kick out from the brake pedal? Everything is so tight in there it's hard to see. By any chance would you have the couple pages from the book pertaining to this area? Or information on the proper procedure for testing the transmission? I would download a manual if I could find one. Thank you again

  10. #10MattR2024-08-15 13:19

    Looks like this time it opened. Will this manual contain all the testing information for the transmission?

  11. #11Nige2024-08-15 13:30

    Nope. That's only the lube/maintenance guide I suggested to help you with basic maintenance items. I can't see a reference anywhere for a full Service Manual for a low-serial 87A loader. Everything is for 87A2385-Up, like this one on eBay . Here is another one on eBay covering machines 87A1-2384. You could ask the seller if it covers transmission test & adjust.

  12. #12MattR2024-08-15 13:31

    Doesn't look like it will. Do you have a link possibly where I can download a service manual?

  13. #13Nige2024-08-15 13:37

    Unfortunately for machines of that era I don’t know of any resource where service manuals can be downloaded. Your only option would appear to be something in paper like that 2nd eBay link I posted above. I have had another look at it and as far as I can tell it appears to be a genuine OEM manual from the correct time period., although just what exactly it includes as far as testing I can't tell.

  14. #14MattR2024-08-15 14:15

    Yes sir. I just bought that one. One of our guys is taking a ride to the caterpillar shop in Marquette right now. He's going to dig through their books and see if we can get the information we need so we can at least get started. Do you have any more thoughts about where to go on this transmission based on what I described?

  15. #15Nige2024-08-15 14:33

    Unfortunately not. IIRC the last time I came across one in the flesh was in Central Africa in the late 1980s and my memory regarding that dinosaur is more than a bit hazy I as I have slept since then........ The problem is that the system contains no information at all regarding System Operation or Test & Adjust for an 87A machine, otherwise you'd be welcome to it.

  16. #16MattR2024-08-16 05:46

    Well thank you for all the information you always provide. Get this. When my guy went to Caterpillar yesterday they allowed him to dig upstairs in the old books. He found two service manuals for this machine. They gave us one for free! I was able to cancel the one I ordered on eBay