Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 988F Transmission/Torque Converter Issues

988Driver ยท 2018-11-05 15:57

Gday all. New day, more transmission problems. Cat 988F seems to be now slipping in all gears. Thought it might have been torque converter problems as I had been digging dirt and towards the end of the day seemed to be lacking pushing power in order to fill the bucket. No wheel slip when digging for dirt. Then I noticed the machine seemed to slip in gear once under load. Have returned this morning to see if a cooler ambient temperature would make a difference but to no avail. I realise this is a vague description on what is going on Machine then seems to not want to move into any gear, however upon turning it off and then on, all of a sudden starts moving through the gears again. Very odd.

Replies3
  1. #1Nige2018-11-05 16:57

    I would say that you would see converter slippage in elevated TC outlet temperatures. You mention nothing about temps. Pull magnetic screen first. Full of burnt clutch particles..?

  2. #2John C.2018-11-05 23:26

    Make sure the left side brake pedal fully releases. I think that machine also has the variable output torque convertor as well. What position is the lever in? What makes you think the transmission is slipping other than the lack of tractive power?

  3. #3Mark2502018-11-06 00:21

    hi, did you resolve your earlier problems with the trans screen blocking up or have you continued to keep running it?