Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT AMICS Cost?

Jfarris · 2014-06-21 20:19

I'm going to be purchasing a used CAT skid steer (2009-2011, depending on $) within the next 30 days. My sole purpose is to get one with AMICS to implement GPS. It's pretty hard to find them used with AMICS already installed. Does anyone know the cost to retrofit one? Also, what year did CAT start offering the option? I'm thinking it was 2009, but I could very well be wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies9
  1. #1PDG X2014-06-28 13:59

    Not sure exactly what year, but I have it on my 2008. It was part of the 'TL-3' package that included 2-speed, auto level, and AMICS. For about $1200. I believe the AMICS kit was about $750 at the time. Won't buy another machine without it.

  2. #2pafarmer2014-06-28 16:00

    My new 289D came with it as well...1500,00 from the factory ....not sure buying it as a kit.....I wouldn't buy a machine without it either...

  3. #3Desertwheeler2014-06-28 19:08

    What is amics?

  4. #4ironjunkie2014-06-28 19:33

    It's a small "kitchenette", great for preparing a healthy snack. I think it enables a machines "digging controls" to be controlled via info from a gps station? That's my guess.

  5. #5pafarmer2014-06-29 09:19

    AMICS is nothing more than advanced machine controls. Nothing to do with GPS or things of that nature. It allows for very specific setting within the operating parameters of the machine itself. Hydro systems, ride control etc. unless you own a CAT most wouldn't even know what those features are. The CAT CTL are in most cases way ahead in this area than the others manufacturers today. Very nice feature to have....I have it on every CAT skid steer/CTL/MTL machine I own.

  6. #6Desertwheeler2014-06-29 09:46

    How do you know if it has it? What sizes and years did it come on?

  7. #7pafarmer2014-06-29 10:29

    C-Series loaders equipped with the Cat Advanced Machine Information and Control System (AMICS) option allow the operator to select one of the three response rates from the monitor in the cab. A visual indicator (one, two or three bars) indicates the selected setting. Non-AMICS equipped machines can be programmed with one of the three response rates via the Cat Electronic Technician system. The only cost involved for machines in service may be that of a nominal charge by the dealer for programming. This should explain the various CAT control systems for you all, Owners of non-AMICS-equipped machines can capitalize on full HRCS potential, however, by adding an AMICS kit. The kit typically is installed in about an hour by the Cat dealer and has a list price of approximately $700. Equipping a Cat C-Series loader with the AMICS kit not only allows full use of HRCS capability, but also enhances the operator’s control of the machine by providing features such as Implement Speed Control and Work Speed Control (creep mode), as well as providing an interface for an AccuGrade system.

  8. #8Desertwheeler2014-06-29 11:29

    Thanks for the info. My machine is too old to have it.

  9. #9Jfarris2014-06-29 18:42

    Thanks for a well written answer!