Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat and scraper

TimHay · 2009-11-15 22:02

A little transfer station i built for the county last year I wish i would of had my buggies then. But it worked out good

Replies7
  1. #1DPete2009-11-16 03:59

    Cat & can is a versitile combo, had one for 21 years. I see your still running cable, I don't miss the sheave bearings, cable fish hooks or drawback springs or when one strand bunches up in the tube.

  2. #2TimHay2009-11-16 08:41

    Well I don't know what to say. Sounds like you miss all the fun stuff in running cat & can Honestly can't say i blame you. I found cable on the older cats is faster and more responsive. But it is a dying trade no new operaters want to take over. I am only 29 and have not meet any one within 20 years of me who even know what a scraper is, let alone cable ones On my last can job it was so dusty i couldn't see the scraper when I was dumping, and i broke an ejoctor cable. I could'nt get it pushed through the tub and was so mad, I came home took my 8k and 621b there and finished. The cable is still broke.:Banghead

  3. #3DPete2009-11-16 10:03

    At least you had an alternative, I always had to fix mine later I converted one to hydraulic, ended many problems

  4. #4surfer-joe2009-11-16 23:47

    Cable scrapers whether towed or self-propelled took some finesse and always careful attention to cable and sheave condition and lubrication. Sheave nests were so difficult and expensive to repair. Replacing broken cable runs were not a job for the timid or faint of heart. I had a fleet of these for a contractor in Illinois and wore out the phone looking for decent used and new parts. Same with the #25 cable control unit. Pete did himself a big favor by converting over to hydraulics, no matter the cost. At least he could then get parts. Even as old as I am, I did not see many self propelled cable cans still running in the late 60’s, but strangely enough, there are still some in use today. One sees them occasionally here and there. I ran the model 70 and 80, also the 433 behind D8’s and D9D's, then there were the DW20, DW21’s and an old 631 cable rig that I got stuck on for a few days. I really don’t miss them.

  5. #5RANDY ROME2009-11-18 22:56

    So if it looks classic

  6. #6TommyV2009-12-03 18:49

    Have some good Pictures 0f DW20's moving dirt in the 60's in NM, that's what i broke in on.

  7. #7EZ TRBO2009-12-04 17:36

    Great photos...old cat and pan's great combo. Thanks for sharing. Trbo