Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat backhoe

sboncek · 2019-03-08 07:43

Parked the Cat and came back next day, there was a puddle of anti freeze on the ground underneath. Possible causes? Thanks for any advice or help.

Replies18
  1. #1Tinkerer2019-03-08 07:52

    Welcome to HEF, sbocek ! The members will need more details about your "Cat backhoe" to be able to help you. Model and serial number please. Have you looked at it the leak closely ?

  2. #2sboncek2019-03-08 08:16

    2006 416c tlb w/4n1 bucket, no, we just found it

  3. #3AllDodge2019-03-08 09:54

    Mine started leaking a couple years ago and turned out to be the O ring on the thermostat housing HeavyEquipmentForums

  4. #4Bls repair2019-03-08 11:09

    Cheapest first ,hoses ,hose claps ,radiator cap .

  5. #5Steve Bowman2019-03-08 16:22

    Find the water pump and look around on the lower side of it.

  6. #6Don.S2019-03-12 10:45

    Go crawl under and around it and open your eyes. No one will have a magical solution if you dont even give a idea of where it is leaking from

  7. #7sboncek2019-03-12 12:20

    well Don, I do understand what you so politely stated, I am an old woman with an old man who can't move that well anymore, but I did see where I think it's leaking from, a joint in the front, but we are taking advice from others to see if we can figure it out. I appreciate your help, bless your heart.

  8. #8Don.S2019-03-12 14:57

    The question you asked is like me saying. Help I'm bleeding how come? With out any information how are people to help you? If you are implying that you are both not able to move around and find the issue how do you expect to fix the issue? Do you have any kids or neighbors or friends who can crawl around to find the leak? Once you find it or get a better idea of where it is people on here can definitely help to solve the issue.

  9. #9sboncek2019-03-12 16:01

    The answers I have gotten so far has given us an idea on where to look and that is what we are doing.....when we find out more info, we will ask again, thank you for your input.

  10. #10John C.2019-03-12 20:19

    Don.s...The site is about providing a little help from time to time and there are lots of people on here starting from square one. You sound like you are stroking your ego by making someone else look bad. Maybe choose your words a little more carefully next time.

  11. #11Don.S2019-03-12 20:39

    I have no ego to stroke. I'm not a mechanic I'm just a guy who likes to fart around with stuff. I am only pointing out the fact that with absolutely no information about the issue the only thing that all the real mechanics on here can do is take a shot in the dark about what the problem could be. That can be very time consuming and wasteful since it could point the OP in the totally opposite direction. Narrow down the location and then guys can give ideas from repeat failures they have seen.

  12. #12Don.S2019-03-12 20:49

    Maybe you have the issue figured out already but let's start off on a better foot. Did you guys happen to hit anything or run over anything? When running the machine could you smell coolant or hear a belt slipping?

  13. #13John C.2019-03-12 20:52

    Since you are admitting that you are not a mechanic, you might want to leave the time wasting decision to those of us that have the background as mechanics to decide whether or not we want to answer the question.

  14. #14Don.S2019-03-12 20:57

    My goodness you sound almost as grumpy as I do.

  15. #15Welder Dave2019-03-12 21:38

    Sometimes there are common problems with certain machines that people with experience will know about. That's how I took the original post and possibly a leaking O-ring like AllDodge referred to is common on that machine.

  16. #16heymccall2019-03-13 00:41

    Having, or having had, Caterpillar 416, 416C, 426C, and 420E backhoes, I dont ever remember having a coolant leak anywhere. I do remember the space between the radiator and oil cooler being plugged with straw and debris enough to cause overheat and boil over. Also, there is no coolant recovery bottle on there, so, the radiator is not to be filled to the top. If filled to top, coolant will come out the overflow hose until the level is back down to normal. It has been a while, but, I'm pretty sure that when looking in the radiator fill hole, there will be a raised block in there. Top of that block is the cold fill level.

  17. #17Vetech632019-03-13 07:01

    Water pump, loose radiator hose clamps, split radiator or heater hose, leaking radiator cap, hole or split in radiator tank or core...………….just to name a few.

  18. #18Tinkerer2019-03-13 09:35

    sbncek ; Could you possibly post a couple of photos of the area where the leak is ?