Was wondering if the cat battery is worth the extra money. Have had good luck with them in the past,got 10 years out of them in a 315b. Just wondering if others have as good of luck Jason
I think they are worth the money i also have had very good luck with them ive seen 15 years out of them.
Worth every extra penny, one hour down time on cold morning and you have spent the differance.
There are only about five companies that make the automotive style of battery. I think East Penn (Deka) makes cat batteries. I have had good luck with interstate optima batteries.
What Overworked stated X2! 11 years on one in a D4C. It was replaced with another from Cat. Not that much more than the others.
What are you guys paying for a group 24?
I use Deka in everything, and they are excellent batteries. I do believe they make batteries for cat, I don't think they are that much more from the dealer.
Rob, CAT group 24 650 CCA is Part #153-5656 109.72
My 2000 skid steer still has the original battery and still started it on the coldest days up until the engine blew, the battery outlasted the engine lol!
I've had same experience as most. whoever makes them, really excellent service especially in our track loaders which were always very hard on batteries (all the shake and vibration from the tracks).
Can't beat a Cat battery in construction equipment in 4D/8D sizes. The Optima's are bulletproof in badly vibrating machinery. (like lightplants)
Not a big believer in name brand stuff, cat doesn't make any batteries, they are sub'd out and bought from a supplier, thus someone else makes them, like all manufacturers do no matter who they are, I've had good and bad batteries from all the major companies, to me the cat logo on the side means very little, they buy from whoever is the cheapest that meets their specs, not the highest priced, the cheapest, so if they put it out to all five battery companies the one with the lowest price gets cats business till the next bid letting. Its business and they all do it.
Battery maintainence I put $30 bucks into a solar trickle charger for a Kubota tractor with a cheap battery that gets used once a month. I've been running that battery for ten years now and the charger for three. Seems to have improved the starting, however the terminal contacts deterioate faster than before. Added one to my JD 570 along with a main disconnect to try and preserve the battery life. So far so good as my starts this time of year are at twenty degrees F or less. No battery post issues here as I have the corrision inhibitors on these.
Hey Wrench-one, $100.66. That's about 25% more than a Napa battery but If it lasts for 10/15 years it's worth it. I find it hard to imagine a battery lasting that long with the beating they take in heavy equipment. Maybe just better maintenance. I just read rsherril's post. I bet that trickle charger helps alot.
I think cat has whoever builds their batteries to there specs,i have never seen any other battery last as long as cat batteries!!
They are worth every penny. We have used other batteries and the Cat ones hands down will out last and out start any other.
The CAT batteries seem to hold up better. When CAT has a battery manufacturer build a battery for CAT they give them the specs and the manufacturer builds it that way. It like the CAT tapered roller bearing's. Timken or whoever will make the bearings with the CAT part number on and then Timken can make an interchange bearing but it can't be exactly the same. If you compare the larger CAT tapered bearings to the Timken replacement bearing the finish is different and the CAT has more one roller ( smaller ones but one more)
Cat batteries are good as are Deere batteries and batteries sold by CNH.... all made by Deka to specific specs. I find most guys who complain about short battery life fail to install their battery hold downs. Nothing kills a battery faster than no hold downs or over charging.
yes worth every penny especially in the cost of starters ad booster cables
cat doesnt make bateeries neither does deere maintain ur batteries at pm services prepare for cold weather and it dont matter what it says on the battery
headwrench, Have you ever tried Cat batteries? Cat doesn't make a lot of things, but they come up with the specs on them. I have never had any other brand of battery even come close to lasting as long as Cat.
my 2000 315B still has original Cat batteries. That being said, when it comes time to replace them, Ill call NAPA. By the time I leave the job, drive the 45min to CAT, pay the extra 25%- Ill be working with a new set of Interstates or Associates. Those will last me 5-6 years. CAT batteries are great, but do the math.
Just my own experience, but have had terrible luck with Napa batteries, Interstate has been very good, Cat is still the best. One of the problems with Napa is that I buy with a commercial discount but their prorated warranty is based on retail price so after a year or so it's not worth much to use the warranty.
Cat and Deere parts and service salespersons lately have been pretty competitive on pricing I have found.
cat does not make ther batteries ,but they ar made to ther spec,which is more sueted to vibration and shock. they moniter the supplyer as withmost of ther parts supplyers. the extra cost is justified when the aplication warrents.