Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT BR172 Brush Cutter

deereequipment ยท 2013-11-12 19:59

Hi all. I am looking at one of these at an upcoming auction. Overall appearance is very nice, with some minor dents. Laying underneath, I can spin the rotary freely, and it looks like it is out of "trueness" about 1/4" when I spin it. I can take ahold of a blade, and wobble the assy just a bit. Could it be messed up teeth, gears, bent shaft, or does it have some play into it normally? thanks for any help.

Replies5
  1. #1Coke2013-11-16 01:33

    I have had cat 172 cutter for years hit hundreds of rocks ,all kinds of trees and brush .The shaft that holds blades has had some movement , 2 sets of blades ago and still works great, can't be beat . Good luck!

  2. #2deereequipment2013-11-16 06:06

    Thank you!!

  3. #3deereequipment2013-11-16 06:08

    Thank you!! Your feedback is great appreciated. The auction is today!! We'll see how it goes.

  4. #4NVtracks2013-11-19 21:43

    I'm not sure if you bought the brush cutter or not, but I thought I would chime in with my thoughts since I just rented a Cat BR172 over this past weekend. I used it through heavy willows and sagebrush and was pleasantly surprised at how it performed. It is not what I ultimately want in a brush cutter, but it worked well enough for me to rent it again in the near future.

  5. #5NCPIPELINE2013-11-20 09:44

    Have to agree here, we have the same model. Our guys for lack of a better word are careless with implements. The only thing I have ever done to it was replace a hose, set of blades, and the shear bolt. Over all very tough, working attachment.