Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat branded drill bits

zack-cat ยท 2015-02-03 21:25

Anybody use caterpillar brand drill bits? I need a sho nuff good set of drill bits for broke bolts and wonder if these are any good. I've used a few small ones in the past and they seemed to be pretty decent. Just wanting some other opinions before I buy. If you got any other suggestions for a good hard bolt drilling bit, let's hear it. Not worried about price, just quality. I'm tired of every time I need to drill a bolt out having to either specifically order a few bits just for that job or making do with crappy ones. There has to be something better!!!

Replies14
  1. #1Deere500a2015-02-03 21:51

    No help with the Cat bits but Habor frieght has 10pc left hand (counter clockwise)drill bit set for $10 for broken studs. The few times using them they worked well.

  2. #2zack-cat2015-02-03 22:00

    I just need right handed, but something high quality for cutting hard material

  3. #3DB22015-02-03 22:12

    Artu drill bits are supposed to be some of the best. Do a search here on the forum. It has been discussed before.

  4. #4JD955SC2015-02-03 22:26

    I would like to know who the OEM is for the Cat labelled bits, dies, and taps.

  5. #5jteck752015-02-03 22:29

    I've got a set of Norseman bits and they have done a great job on broken bolts on equipment. You can find them on the web,or if you have a Fastenal near you they should stock them.

  6. #6mitch5042015-02-03 22:34

    I really like Turbomax bits by Irwin, and Blu-Mol bits. I ordered a few Artu bits to try, and haven't needed them in the week or two since I got them, thank goodness.

  7. #7mikebramel2015-02-03 23:04

    Norse man is what you want

  8. #8Tinkerer2015-02-04 14:46

    I never heard of Norsemen bits. They have a couple of YouTube videos that are impressive. http://www.norsemandrill.com/

  9. #9FSERVICE2015-02-04 21:42

    the artru bits are great!!! or a set of cobalt drill bits, or buy both like I did

  10. #10lantraxco2015-02-04 23:34

    Track down a MAC tool truck, they are not cheap, but they hold up.

  11. #11simonsrplant2015-02-05 19:57

    I'll second that. My dealer gives warranty on broken or worn bits... Think I paid 250 bucks odd for my set but with the warranty I'd be a fool not to.

  12. #12zack-cat2015-02-05 21:41

    Went ahead and bought the norseman bits. Heard lots of good things bout em, (and they were on sale.) now that I got good bits I'm in the mood to replace my harbor freight taps and dies with some I'm not scared to use! Any suggestions on a good US and metric set?

  13. #13JD955SC2015-02-05 23:08

    Pretty much the tool trucks rebrand Irwin tap and die sets, the difference is your driver may warranty them if broken. Many buy the tool truck or Irwin sets. Personally I buy individual taps that are HSS and USA made from quality makers. You can find lots of good taps at cheap prices on Ebay. Because a broken tap is a pain in the ass, I'd rather buy the highest quality taps I can and do my best not to break them. To me, not having a warranty and having to purchase a replacement tap is not a big deal.

  14. #14nowing752015-02-06 14:37

    Are they painted cat yellow? Sorry had to ask