Got a Kenworth with a Cat c15 and the compressor is getting weak. Anybody have a good lead on where to get a cheap re-maned compressor?
Try A and R Diesel Parts in Fontana Ca. Something is wrong with their website when I just tried to look at it, but Their phone number is: (909) 822-5400, if you still remember how to do business without the internet
Ha Ha..... what is this phone you speak of? Thanks.
Just go kw in fontana, you can get a brand new bendix compressor for around 220.00 brand new. Not a rebuilt.
Did not see your so far away, just go to nearest kw. Or they can just ship it
We buy direct from CAT, always reman.
Turns out it wasnt the compressor as i guessed but the air dryer. Cant remember the bill right off but Kenworth did the work and lets say it was absorbent! On the way over there the engine harness broke (dry rotted plug in).... Had them fix that too.
I just found this thread and at the end was kinda what I was going to comment, "Is the compressor getting weak or is there another problem?" When I was running mixers sometimes the rubber in the first hose off the compressor would start to rot, get oil on it and swell, or just break off inside the hose and there would be a sever loss of air flow. Couple of years ago I called a Pete dealer because I was on the side of the road and my truck wouldn't make any air. Take the hose off at the dryer and things were just fine. I thought the compressor was getting weak and not making any pressure, just flow. So to get if off the side of the interstate we took the hose off the compressor and the mechanic had a fitting already built to go on that hose and connect to a regular quick couple air fitting. We connected it up and turned on the air, that's when I realized that the line from the compressor to the air dryer had a split in it about 3 feet from the compressor, right back by the engine and just under the cab where it couldn't be heard leaking when the truck was running, and there wasn't any pressure when it was off. Remember, some quick diagnosis sometimes will save a bunch of money and time.
Seems to me compressors old and new never really give much trouble, but hoses and governors do...the exception being those compressors with the lame side air filter held on by wire clips etc. Those fell off and got dusted and rebuilt compressors are not cheap.
I seem to see a lot of stuck unload valves in the compressor heads, open or closed.
Also, the single cylinder Cat/Bendix compressor on the C series engines seem to be good at burning out the o-rings on the unloader piston too. Usually causing erratic cycling depending on the volume of the wet tank.