Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat C10 Sounds like a miss fire under load.

JTWAT · 2026-05-15 14:22

I have a 2000 Sterling Dump Truck with a Cat C10 and 8ll transmission. It's been running great for the 5 years I've owned it. Last week while carrying a load , the engine began to have a steady missfire on one cylinder while in high range or pulling a hill. It I let off the throttle, it stops making the noise. I took it to a shop that said they scanned the ECM and found a code for an intake temp sensor and leaking coolant overflow bottle. They quoted me $1100 to replace both and I declined the repairs. I changed out the sensor myself but it made no difference. I then checked the fuel pressure ar the secondary fuel filter head and it is 65-70 at 1800 rpm. Sound to me like a bad injector but how do I find it while under load?

Replies8
  1. #1Deimos2026-05-15 14:36

    The most reliable option is to connect a laptop with CAT ET to the engine and perform a cut-out test under load or while driving. There's no other way to identify a faulty injector on an electronic engine. Without a load, a cut-out test may show all injectors are OK, so it should be performed under load.

  2. #2JTWAT2026-05-16 18:33

    Thanks

  3. #3JTWAT2026-05-17 22:23

    Would you know where the fuel pressure regulator is located on a C10? I checked the fuel pressure at the secondary fuel filter housing and have 65-70 psi. I replaced the transfer pump but it made no difference in the pressure.

  4. #4Deimos2026-05-17 23:32

    Please enter the engine serial number or prefix.

  5. #5JTWAT2026-05-18 16:50

    3CS12626

  6. #6Deimos2026-05-18 17:39

    №5 Valve- Regulator

  7. #7Deimos2026-05-18 17:42

    The filtered fuel pressure at an engine speed of 600 rpm ... 450 kPa to 600 kPa (65.3 psi to 87.0 psi)

  8. #8JTWAT2026-05-19 00:28

    Well, I guess fuel pressure is ok. It's reading 65-70 at idle but does not go up with an rpm increase. I'll pull the regulator out and check it for any sticking. Thanks for the photo.