Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Moving 11K excavator on flatbed truck?

hwychild · 2026-05-12 15:03

Looking at my options for moving my excavator. Machine weighs 11,288 according to its tag. To follow the letter of the law, if I'm going to move the machine on a trailer and collect any $'s at its destination I need to have a CDL since the trailer GVW is over 10K. I can pull the trailer for my own use without challenging the law, but any business transaction requires me to have a CDL. I could go get a CDL. Might be the best option. I could get a flatbed with a payload high enough to haul the machine but still under the 26K limit. I could hire someone every time I move the machine. There are probably some other options I have not considered. I'm interested in your ideas.

Replies30
  1. #1mowingman2026-05-12 18:15

    How often will you move this machine? Are we talking a few times/year, once/month, or several times/month. This really can make a big difference on how you handle the moves.

  2. #2CM19952026-05-12 18:24

    Assuming WA state rules are any trailer over 10K GVW requires a Class A? Here in AL they follow the Federal rules that goes on GCWR of truck and trailer. So we can pull a 15K lb trailer behind a 11K SRW pickup. Not saying your 11,288 lb excavator would be legal with this combo though as it would depend on trailer weight, attachments, tongue weight, ect.

  3. #3CM19952026-05-12 18:27

    All good questions.

  4. #4Truck Shop2026-05-12 19:54

    Washington State--CDL is required for 26,001 or more, in combination including a trailer whose GVWR is over 10,000.

  5. #5smifwal2026-05-12 20:01

    I would get the CDL

  6. #6MG842026-05-12 20:34

    A class 6 medium duty should haul that excavator just fine and be under 26K, just have to watch your empty weight. My IH 4700 flatbed weighs 13K empty, it'll haul my CTL or mini ex without problem, I just have to back up to a bank or dock to load. If it's something you'll be doing a lot I'd look into a dovetail flatbed meant for hauling equipment or invest in a good set of aluminum ramps. All that being said, you should get your CDL regardless, it'll open up a lot of opportunities.

  7. #7Truck Shop2026-05-12 20:54

    I'd sell mine if I could, and perform a Spock-Vulcan mind meld for the experience at no extra charge.

  8. #8Joel592026-05-13 08:11

    Speaking as someone who has gone through the mind-numbing back and forth of...."maybe this combination could keep me under....or maybe I could just load it on the back of my truck" I was VERY happy the day I got my class A CDL. It was worth the time and money. I feel better trained, safer, and legal. As others have said, it opens up new opportunities as well. Never hesitate to invest in yourself. Just my opinion.

  9. #9Truck Shop2026-05-13 09:02

    Cost was 10.00 in early 70's.

  10. #10Tatersmt2026-05-13 10:12

    That's when I got mine and still have it.

  11. #11Pops522026-05-13 10:34

    Got mine in July 1970. No driving test, only written. It expires next month, we’ll see if I can keep it w/o a med cert.

  12. #12Truck Shop2026-05-13 10:36

    A chauffeurs license back then, which only required a written test and your ability signed off by a truck owner or trucking company. The commercial drivers license idea was enacted in 1986, and each state given till 1992 to implement. The real reason for the CDL wasn't for creating revenue as most think, mostly it was to stop {License Shopping}. Truck drivers that had run up a raft of tickets in multiple states would often carry as many as 5 drivers licenses because there was no national data base. * Years ago like 1988 I impounded a truck that was licensed in South Dakota, {notice I didn't use {out of South Dakota}. Driver had eleven failures to appear in court with a warrant issued, and 6 different licenses were found in his possession.

  13. #13Truck Shop2026-05-13 10:39

    Nope--but CDL's for retired have a option for moth balling--IIRC. And to add--If a person has a high blood pressure issue but right at threshold limit, they can be set with a one year medical certificate, and required being checked at a set time interval. Or it can be restrained till BP is under control after a period of time has elapsed.

  14. #14Deere500a2026-05-13 12:24

    Renewed Ca LIC 2yrs before Moved to NV no question was asked about medical,med was expired over a yr but the state gave me a 10yr CDL no test. Find f650 25.99k gvw past see a lot'em with 5.9 cheap make a ramp truck have about 13k of capacity.

  15. #15hwychild2026-05-13 14:00

    Thanks for all the responses. I haven't needed to move the excavator yet, but I plan to soon. The work is out there. I found an International flatbed with a dump bed that might work to move the machine. Still not 100% certain that is the approach I'm going to take. Getting a CDL and trailering the machine might be ultimately safer.

  16. #16mowingman2026-05-13 14:11

    Getting a CDL can be a long and trying process. Give yourself plenty of time too study, take all the written tests, and then take, and probably retake, the pretrip inspection/driving part of the test. In fact, you may want to go to a CDL school to make the process more streamlined and possibly faster.

  17. #17Deere500a2026-05-13 14:11

    Backhoe O/O's removable fab dovetails on dumps was common but most are long gone here.

  18. #18Tatersmt2026-05-13 14:24

    I thought every state requires a medical card for a cdl?

  19. #19Deere500a2026-05-13 14:44

    Only for hire need a medical not for hire I'm covered to drive combination vic similar to rv class A.

  20. #20Tatersmt2026-05-13 14:47
  21. #21Truck Shop2026-05-13 17:28

    If driving commercial, farm is exempt up to 150 air miles. One reason for medical exam is to ferret out old drivers trying to hold on to a CDL that can't pass a test. And even though FMCSA rules it, it also depends on each states own rules of enforcement. * https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/medical/driver-medical-requirements/dot-medical-exam-and-commercial-motor-vehicle-certification

  22. #22Pops522026-05-13 19:46

    I might resemble the second sentence of your statement…..

  23. #23Deere500a2026-05-13 20:32

    Why does it matter someone has A? DMV FMC don't care LIC class can't have commercial# on truck or pay. I can drive lowboy/tanker for hobby

  24. #24Truck Shop2026-05-13 21:13

    Air brake equipped truck requires class A or class B endorsement, even as a hobby truck. Only air brake equipped RV does not. Deck better be clean on lowboy no haz/mat in tanker. Anyone using own equipment other than farm related that generates revenue or written off on tax/depreciated is not considered hobby. If a farmer loads out of field and hauls to his own storage he is exempt, if he loads grain out of a co-mingled crop/grain elevator the exempt rule no longer applies because it becomes commercial. To drive a show truck to a truck show in Wa, Ore, Idaho or California driver has to have air brake endorsement, it is not classified as RV. If the show truck is plated RV then it doesn't apply.

  25. #25cuttin edge2026-05-13 21:24

    I think here a licensed truck and trailer mechanic can drive an unloaded truck test drive or to the spring shop something like that

  26. #26Truck Shop2026-05-13 21:25

    Not here--Test driving still requires CDL.

  27. #27Truck Shop2026-05-13 21:46

    And unless equipment is marked with company number and logo, or anything a person is hauling outside the 100 mile as crow flies better have proof of ownership of cargo. To prove they are not hauling for hire or if they are a bill of lading is required-believe it or not. * Federal Register :: Request Access www.ecfr.gov

  28. #28Deere500a2026-05-13 22:07

    I know guys yard dogs & mechanic shop insurance requires to carry Commercial A license on property no DOT physical but work physical . Rv A is air brakes

  29. #29Tatersmt2026-05-13 22:19

    Same here in Montana even the mechanics for the MDT have to have a CDL.

  30. #30Truck Shop2026-05-13 22:33

    Well I can see this is going no where.......................................