Hello, I was wondering if you guys might be able to help me out here. We have a little Cat asphalt roller SN: 42000259 with around 1400 hours on it. It keeps melting one of the fuel injectors in the burner assembly for the DPF. I’ve talked to the dealer several times and haven’t gotten it sorted out yet. I rebuilt the burner, replaced the igniter and differential pressure sensor, verified the air pump is working and supplying air when commanded, verified the fuel return line back to tank is clear by blowing air through it, had the dpf baked out and reset the soot level to 0 with ET after and still, when it does a regen, the temps get up to around 500F for a bit then the lower injector melts out the side. It goes to sputtering, throws a code for the burner failing to light and starts leaking fuel all over. That’s the only code it ever throws and it won’t burn out the dpf without ruining an injector now. Thanks.
?
Thanks, I’ll check on the software. I replaced the gauze when I had the dpf baked and did all of the other shotgunning on it.
Would you by chance know what the temperatures should get to during a regen on one of these units? I’ve dealt with quite a bit of the bigger stuff but this is my first go at a system like this little one.
Go to this page, scroll down to "information" and click on aftertreatment. CB24B Compactor 42000001-UP (MACHINE) POWERED BY C1.5 Engine AIR INLET AND EXHAUST SYSTEM Caterpillar SIS | AVSpare.com spare.avspart.com It's kinda convoluted to use, but, when you open each one, if in Chinese, Google translate them. Then. Each blue print word needs clicked on to reveal more.
Ok thanks I’ll check it out. I verified the lines going to the differential pressure sensor are clear also. Haven’t changed the temp probes but they all read exactly the same when the unit has sat and everything is at ambient temperature so I don’t feel suspicious of them.
I’ve got one of the dealer techs coming by to flash it. It shows the software date as 2014 but the best I can tell, my level of Cat ET won’t allow me to re flash.
From here C1.5 and C2.2 Engines for Caterpillar Built Machines Caterpillar avsmanual.com
So I determined that injector 2, which is the one that keeps failing, is on all of the time. The coil in the injector appears to be getting hot enough from the extended duty cycle to melt the plastic housing. Looking at it with ET, it’s shown as off but is powered up whenever the key is on. I ohmed out the harness and it’s fine, no cross continuity with anything else. The injector is driven directly by the ecm so we’ve ordered one of those… quoted 165 days out.