Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat Certified Rebuild on D9R.

LowBoy ยท 2008-04-06 13:59

A couple shots of a D9R being torn down to the framerails for recertification. The dealer service mgr. (Blanchard Cat in Florence, S.C.,) told me the cost is approx. $500,000.00 to tear down and rebuild. Even gets a brand new serial number. Also, a D8R getting a fresh bottom outside the shop on the concrete apron. Check out those jackstands...pretty rugged...

Replies31
  1. #1DPete2008-04-06 14:12

    That D8 looks a little scorched, good time for a new paint job with the frames off.

  2. #2bobcat ron2008-04-06 15:01

    Why not just buy another dozer for that price? I know CAT does A++ work, but that's just insane in the membrane.

  3. #3LowBoy2008-04-06 15:03

    I agree on the 8 looking a little ragged. It's a landfill machine, so she's not having a really creampuffy life.:drinkup

  4. #4LowBoy2008-04-06 15:09

    I asked the service mgr. the same question after hearing the price tag on a rebuild, but a new 9R is in excess of a million greenbacks, so 500K looks better on paper. Plus the fact that it is owned by a coal generating plant and the board members look at $$$ savings versus operator comfort. That 9 has a U-blade that pushes coal for a living. Funny, the D8R looks worse than the D9 does, pushing garbage as opposed to coal...:usa

  5. #5RollOver Pete2008-04-06 15:14

    This way you get in essence a brand new machine with new warranty's, new serial numbers, along with the latest updates on the hydraulic, electrical and mechanical systems. When everything is said and done, you have a brand new machine for just over 2/3 the price of a new one. Buying another dozer is fine if you want to buy someone else's problems. Tax wise, I think that you might have more of a write off...... someone ?

  6. #6jimmyjack2008-04-06 15:21

    nice to see your back to posting pics lowboy, how about you throw those pics of your new truck up:yup

  7. #7ben46a2008-04-06 16:47

    That D8 is actually a D6 And landfill machins are usually the most beat machines when there done from personal experience.

  8. #8LowBoy2008-04-06 17:16

    I can assure you ben46a....it's a D8R my eyes are getting weaker with time, but not that bad yet.

  9. #9LowBoy2008-04-06 17:30

    There's one or two pics in a couple of different threads jimmyjack. The job ended 3 weeks ago abruptly, and I'm not really looking back to be honest. My new occupation is interesting and exciting, so I'm channeling all my energy towards that now, instead of those :Banghead rotten trucks. Those things'll kill ya anyways...:cussing

  10. #10PAcattech2008-04-06 18:50

    Hi Lowboy it might be time for a visit to the eye doctor that is a D6 as ben46a said D8's have boggie mounted track rollers and it sure looks like a 3306 engine in your pic D8 has 3406

  11. #11bear2008-04-06 18:58

    :my2c It does kind of look like a 6 on the decal couldn't really tell. a good excuse to go back and take more pics! anyway it do look like a 6 to me but i won't argue i get told im from another planet most days so ill leave it at that! :my2c

  12. #12LowBoy2008-04-06 19:26

    You know, I'd better admit I'm wrong before I really look stupid on this topic. There's an 8R inside next to that D9R getting torn down, and I most likely confused the two; spoke before I confirmed. Meant to say SIX...came out as EIGHT due to the popularity, I'd tend to say. PAcattech has a sharper eye than the average as well. That's not a 3406 in the photo of the one on jackstands...Sorry for the mixup, and it's time for glasses after all. Those WalMart 1.50X magnifiers aren't doing their job anymore obviously.:Banghead

  13. #13bear2008-04-07 00:48

    Happens to everybody.... seems like it's usually me though.

  14. #14Countryboy2008-04-08 02:47

    Well Lowboy, I'll match your Cat Certified Rebuild.....and raise you another Cat Certified Rebuild. This 980G is being rebuilt on site by Cat technicians.

  15. #15Countryboy2008-04-08 02:52

    The old motor and transmission...Cat 3406

  16. #16HeyUvaVT2008-04-08 07:45

    whoa whoa wee wow!

  17. #17bobcat ron2008-04-08 09:20

    How many hours were on it prior to ripping it apart?

  18. #18bear2008-04-08 13:15

    they can be delivered to my house i won't charge for the storage, just the fuel i burn. :naughty :wink2

  19. #19Countryboy2008-04-08 23:11

    I didn't look before they started tearing it apart. I don't think the hour meter is working right now...

  20. #20Ross2008-04-09 01:08

    D11R being rebuilt. 12'000hrs Ross

  21. #21bear2008-04-10 00:49

    here's another rebuild Took the shot going down the road. just barely got it with my speed demon wife driving. I'll try and get some from up close this weekend.

  22. #22Kingy2008-04-22 08:46

    some of them pictures are disgacefull work practices and contamination control im a 3rd year apprentice heavy diesel mechanic in australia for Westrac (Cat dealer) and i would get ****ing shot if my job looked like them.

  23. #23bear2008-04-22 09:27

    Which ones? And why?

  24. #24Lashlander2008-04-22 09:35

    Nice first post! Been at it a big three years now have ya?:cool2 opcorn

  25. #25d4c24a2008-04-22 13:35

    maybe they have no apprentice to clean up for them welcome to the board how about some pictures of how to do it "properly"

  26. #26DigDug2008-04-22 17:43

    Hehehe opcorn

  27. #27CatSkinner77V2008-04-23 01:08

    I wonder do they get new blocks and the whole nine yards? or is it just a reman. Because I have seen ultrasounds of old blocks that guys thought were in good shape.... and let me tell you not pretty. In BC I was talking to a mechanic at peterbilt and he was telling me that the biggest problem out there is the blocks are stress twisted from pulling and braking on really steep hills.

  28. #28CarterKraft2008-05-08 21:56

    We do that sort of thing allot. Contamination Control is poor in some of those pictures but I bet those guys know what they are doing. Contamination Control is one of those things that is going to take allong time to convince people of. No longer is it ok to say "that's what filters are for". Clean oil and compartments is the name of the game. The CAT guidline for oil cleanliness is cleaner than oil suppliers can supply. So the oils have to be filtered before going into the machines. Then the machines are "Kidney Looped" after repair until they meet the guidelines using a portable particle counter. Very Cool stuff.

  29. #29Ross2008-05-09 03:08

    Well I see no Bad in any of the photo's posted? In fact the first set is pretty good Team work with welders and Mechanics Giving it on the same machine at the same time. The 3508E in the 11's are Reman. Maybe a new Block if the reman guys see fit. Tranny, Torque, F/D's, track frames etc are rebuilt on site. Pumps are exchange reman for good reason. Rebuild Updates are fitted as well. Hump Kit for example. Ross

  30. #30Ross2008-05-09 03:12

    True and Un-True. Particle counts take place before Stripping components. Hydraulic oil is filtered but other oil like Gear oil isnt. Most 90% of engines come filled with oil so: Maybe - Maybe not Counted. Ross

  31. #31D5G2008-05-15 16:36

    Thats cool to see, when I was at our local cat dealer a few weeks ago they were rebuilding 2 D11's and a D7, of course the time I didn't have the camera.