looking to pull my scraper with a little more production its a 13 yard dolly wheel Ashland pulled by a steiger pt270.will a older ch65 do a better job?looking for something without all the electronic bs on the engine. I keep reading that the power shift tranny in these is a pretty good unit,is it true they use the same tranny from the ch65 all the way to the newer 95e. track systems, is the ch65 track system ok or would you jump up to a little newer system? do they build one with a 3406? is this ag 3176 ok? what is best one to get ch,b,c,up to the e model?
I've ran the hell out of a 1994 75c with 14k hrs doing farm work. They are well built machines. Only engine issues have been injectors go bad. For hard pulling and/or wet ground I would make sure you got a machine with cast drivers vs rubber wheels. Greyson
I would not advise cast drivers on a scraper tractor. Those stupid sharp points destroy the belts. It's pretty hard to beat those low-track Cats for a scraper tractor. Transmissions are tougher than nails and the maneuverability of a two track is awesome as well. I have always been told than they all have the same trans. You are going to need lots of weight to pull a dolly though. 2500 up front, and the weighted hitch on the rear. Don't get one with a PTO. You can't put weights in the hitch. They also make weights that mount to the frame, inside the belts. Those might work well.
looking at some well used ones, looks likes the only thing people have did work to is the engine.lots of them with some good hours and never touched the trans or finals.looked at some wheel tractor stx and it seems lots of used ones have had trans work or final work done.kind of leaning towards a 75e just not sure about this 3176
Ran a 75C for over 4000 hrs. When I got my 95E, the 75 had 8600 hrs with only an injector/injector tube swap. Only burned a gallon of oil every 200 hrs. My 95 is the same, 7600 hrs, had injectors last year, sometimes only a half-gallon between changes. Anything you are looking at, make sure to see it in person, and be present for a cold start. If these tractors are in good shape, it should have a little blow-by at start-up, then gradually go away. When you drive it, pay attention to the 2-3, 5-6, and 8-9 shifts. They are kind of sharp due to range shaft changes, but if they seem to slip, I would stay away. As long as the tractor doesn't have 18,000 hrs, you should be fine. I've heard the engines were designed to last 15-20K hrs, the trans and finals more. I hope I don't have to put that many on my 95, but they don't make it anymore and I really like the tractor. Only thing I would change is I wish it weighed about 10,000 lbs more than it does.
I'm looking at an older 75c for a cat 70. The belts have poor lug on them, and it has some weight up front, but I'm not sure about 2500 worth. Just for general farmland drainage, any thoughts on if it would work? I pull it now with a 750c Deere crawler, and it does an awesome job, will boil dirt out all day long, just looking to speed up the hauls a bit.
It should, just don't expect to run it over the sides like you're used to when you get in tough ground. A 70 is around 16 yds I think. I pulled a converted Allis Chalmers 260 with my 75, pulling the top 6" was easy, after that you took what you could get.
Thanks for the reply shimmy, mine is a round bottom 70, and I think they rate about 11 heaped. I'm wondering about the low grouser on the rubber tracks, I know new is best, but I need some production before investing too much. Also, are these 75c's closed center, pressure and flow compensated hydraulics? Just for comparability of my grade control stuff.
That tractor should handle that pan fine, only issue you're going to have is the cut is narrower than the tractor. Not ideal, but you'll just have to pull a backslope pass about every 3" or so of cut. The belts will work (when it's dry), you're just going to have to load in 3rd and be quick on the lever. The hydraulics are closed-center, pressure compensated, not sure about flow. I have an electic proportional valve that is plumbed into the power-beyond ports to control grade.