Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat controls or Jonh deere

noah ยท 2009-08-18 23:07

Wondering if all trackhoes out there has cat controls That large companys have. I have a cat backhoe with jonh deere controls and wondering if I should spend the money and convert it to cat controls. Some operators say they can jump from one to another. Don"t know if my brain can do that.

Replies17
  1. #1Colorado Digger2009-08-18 23:14

    most older hands can run both real well. they say the jd controls on the rubber tire are to remind the operater he is in a backhoe instead of a excavator. I can load trucks and mass x ok with cat, but am more comfy on deere

  2. #2watglen2009-08-19 07:25

    Its only deere controls for me. Grew up on a backhoe. Tried Cat controls one time but gave up. This would actually make a good survey topic

  3. #395zIV2009-08-19 07:30

    Or you can do a search and find the poll that's already been made on here about this subject:

  4. #4eianewb2009-08-19 22:31

    noah, my machine is old enough that it's still hydraulic pilot valves... i just swapped the hydraulic hoses for the controls. it was free. maybe you could do the same? i have also heard you can just switch wires... but i dont know for sure.

  5. #5roddyo2009-08-20 11:58

    Case for me That's why I like a Case. The pattern control valve is right by the cab. It takes all of about 20 seconds to change it. BTW I run Deere Controls because I still have a Backhoe.

  6. #6tonka2009-08-20 12:11

    i can run anything out there, Cat, JD, Case, Ford........ i seen them all, it just takes a lil getting used to....

  7. #79420pullpan2009-08-20 13:06

    I started out on Deere controls went to Cat for a few years then back to Deere for a year and finally back to Cat and that is where i'm gonna stay

  8. #8noah2009-08-20 14:19

    Cat controls or John deere The backhoe i"m talking about is a 1999 with wobble sticks . They did not offer pattern changer intill 2000,01,02. I called cat yesterday and they said you can not change hoses because the valve presures are different. The only thing to do is to order a kit from cat and change the linkage under the the tower of the wobble sticks. At a cost of 680.84. So I will probaly just say with Jonh Deere controls. To much money. I've been running backhoes all my life, but last 3 years been running trackhoes with pattern changer on them. No problem but the job ended, so I think I missed a couple of other jobs because I can only run John Deere controls. A lot of bigger companies and the mining industy I know they only have cat control. I thouht to change the hoe to cat to learn them. But alot of companies will not hire a good operator if he says, I"m a good operator but a I need time to learn the controls. .

  9. #9caterpillar722009-12-12 03:25

    i can run a cat backhoe on john Deere controls than hop to a cat excavator but only run it on cat controls it sure is handy the new e series cat backhoes have pattern control changer inside the cab flick of a switch its that easy but the also have joys sticks so i run the e series on cat controls or john deere

  10. #10J_Deere2009-12-12 03:35

    Noah, I have a 2000 CAT 416C Backhoe. When I purchased it new it was set-up with JD controls. One of my operators decided to change it to CAT controls to match our excavators. I think he just swapped some of the linkage in the tower because I know he didn't buy any parts. Your 1999 might be different.

  11. #11Panhandler Bob2009-12-13 08:54

    BHL (backhoe/loader)=Deere,SAE=Cat according to manufactures spec sheets. Cat controls for me, years of runnin rubber tire loader, boom &bucket right hand, so when I started runnin trackhoe with Cat controls only had to teach left hand what to do. Read an article somewhere that said Deere controls are easier to learn because of the way our brains are wired. Couldn't prove it by me. just my .02 cents. Bob SAFE & HAPPY Holidays to ALL:drinkup

  12. #12special tool2009-12-13 09:08

    I assume you are talking about the front bucket of a wheel loader, not a rubber tire backhoe, is that right? I run single hand front bucket machines too, but for some reason, it doesn't carry over for me to the hoe (any type of hoe) - I still put all my stuff on JD. Its a good point though, I never thought about that - I guess my right hand can switch but my left stays loyal to JD.

  13. #13Panhandler Bob2009-12-14 10:50

    :usa Yes I was talkin about wheel loader, around here rubber tire loader= artic, wheel loader. rubber tire hoe= backhoe/loader.crawler loader=track loader. Hoe= trackhoe, excavater,360 hoe. pan=scrapper. Different regions, different jargon. Have a safe and happy Holiday season to ALL.:drinkup Bob

  14. #14kobelco1012009-12-14 15:40

    I run the Backhoe in the backhoe controls (John Deere) and the excavator in the SAE (cat) controls in the New Holland Backhoe with the pilot it is switchable but I fill out of place working it in SAE.

  15. #15"Two-Books"2009-12-14 23:37

    Given the fact that practically every machine from the smallest to the largest have pattern control switch's, manual or electric, who really care's as long as the operator is comfortable just get busy and "DIG" !!

  16. #16perley032009-12-18 23:28

    It doesnt matter to me. I can run both. I'm used to running crane (logs) which the main boom is on the left, stick on the right. My Cat 320 is opposite. But once I jump into the machine, either crane or hoe, i don't get confused. Weird, but it worksfor me.

  17. #17special tool2009-12-19 08:00

    Hey - quit yer braggin' already.