Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Recent land clearing/thinning

BrianHay ยท 2009-08-18 01:20

Here is my latest project, finished it up on Saturday. First the before pictures...

Replies14
  1. #1BrianHay2009-08-18 01:23

    One of the stumps I ripped out. I had a few good sized trees on this project that were to close to the house for me to feel comfortable taking down so I had a pro faller drop them for me. After he dropped them it took me little more than five minutes to get each stump out.

  2. #2BrianHay2009-08-18 01:26

    And here is how it looks now.

  3. #3JDOFMEMI2009-08-18 02:39

    You really made an improvement there Brian. Good work.

  4. #4BrianHay2009-08-18 03:57

    Thanks Jerry! They sure sure are happy, I virtually doubled the usable space on their acreage for them.

  5. #5Eddiebackblade2009-08-22 16:58

    :thumbsupQuality work as usual Brian, That powertilt and powergrip setup looks really strong and versatile without hoses sticking out all over the place to get snagged. JCB used to sell a few of those 4in1 backhoe buckets up to a maximum width of 24" and they proved popular with local authorities for gripping kerbsones and lumps of ashphalt etc. They also sold a purpose made backfill blade that could be gripped by the bucket and used for clear up operations. Might be an idea for a simple blade or wide rake to grip in the bucket?

  6. #6DigDug2009-08-22 19:18

    Good job Brian! Glad to see your working.

  7. #7Deereboy2009-08-30 17:32

    No small job with them stumps.Hope you moved that bike first....

  8. #8BrianHay2009-08-30 22:44

    Thanks for the kind comments guys! :thumbsup I love projects like this and I am finding it to be a good little niche for my machine. I can fit in between the trees no prob and still have enough power and reach to get the job done efficiently as well as handle the big stumps. My bucket is a 36", I pondered long and hard between it and a 24" before buying it. I have no regrets, it's only 260 pounds heavier (PDF Brochure) and the extra capacity for digging and width for finishing is well worth the little extra weight. I have been pondering a rake and blade that I could grab with it, that would be great. For now grading I just grab a six or 8 foot log if there is one handy and that works really well. I hardly never take the Powergip off if I can get a hold of a log to drag around. But it would be nice to have something purpose built that I keep with me....any ideas guys? For grading I was thinking something as simple as a 6' chunk of I-beam notched out in the right spots to grab would work good. Any other ideas? Or how bout ideas for a rake? Lol yup the bike got moved.

  9. #9enviroset2009-08-31 10:23

    Nice job! I have been clearing some ground on one of the farms after it was logged. You can make a good root rake out of a chisel plow by moving all the shanks to the back row, spaced about 3-4" apart and pull behind a tractor. works really well.

  10. #10tonka2009-08-31 10:33

    Um is that the OCC spiderweb bike? If it is someone has some deep pockets! Good work Brian!

  11. #11BrianHay2009-08-31 14:59

    Thanks enviroset! That's a great idea for a rake but I am looking more for something that I would grab with with my Powergrip. I don't want to get another machine. Part of my niche doing this is cleaning out between the bigger tress that will be saved. In some places on this project I had less than 8' to squeeze between them. I walked straight in between and pulled the brush straight back out. I didn't even have enough room to swing....I only need 10' to swing.

  12. #12BrianHay2009-08-31 15:01

    Thanks Tonka! That's one of those mini choppers. Cool little bike.

  13. #13enviroset2009-08-31 15:23

    Yea, using a chisel plow root rake with an excavator is hard on shanks and springs, it is hard to gauge how much downpressure and force you are putting on the shanks (we all learn from experience don't we?) At least with a tractor you know when you grab onto something because your front ends comes off the ground.

  14. #14kthompson2009-09-01 08:20

    For my tractor and chisel plow also the rear wheels spin...so maybe the idea of enough shanks to feel the load with excavator might work but if you pay real careful attention to it might can watch the springs action and know. There is also the option of subsoiler with trip shanks or shear bolts protection.