Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat Coolant Question

CrusherRatN14 · 2026-05-30 19:04

Trying to find the right coolant for my Cat 980G. It’s supposed to have Cat ELC but I’m not 100% sure if that’s what’s in there. I have a pic of what’s in it now, is that cat Elc? I expected more red than orange. Thanks, kind of a dumb question but I don’t wanna screw anything up.

Replies4
  1. #1Oxbow2026-05-30 19:52

    I have seen some after-market ELC coolant that is more orange than red, so I suspect that is what you have, but the Cat ELC is definitely more red in color than that in your picture.

  2. #2Nige2026-05-30 20:10

    That’s not ELC. It should be bright red. Also it’s contaminated because it is cloudy. Coolant in good condition should be totally clear. Drain, flush a few times with water, then refill with your coolant of choice. There are plenty of equivalents to ELC on the market. Look on the Peak web site for one with a nitrite-based additive package. They sell both nitrite & nitrite-free but the latter is more for on-road engines rather than heavy equipment.

  3. #3CrusherRatN142026-05-30 23:25

    Sounds good thanks guys

  4. #4HarleyHappy2026-05-31 09:43

    Looks like Dexcool.