Hi! Cat3208 here. I am new-be here. Great place!!! Intro- out of high school- worked in plywood mill (north coast Oregon) as green-chain off-barrier and handy man. Then went into construction- first as labor then as operator in Oregon and SW Washington up until late 2000 (was union member all the way!). Then moved to Europe. I don't know if this the right area for this thread but... Has anybody had any experiences with the new Cat CT660 as a logger or dump truck for building roads or? Thanks, Cat3208 :notworthy
This is a link to an Cat CT660 logging truck being loaded out in northern California. Maybe we could hear a comment or two from Anderson Logging in Fort Bragg, California? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7QXInDtrUo Thanks, cat3208.
Another outfit just bought one here looks cool but I don't think they've used it yet
Thanks for the reply hoechucker! I also think the CT660 looks good. It also seems to me on what I have read is that it is a very robust truck! Also works out good if have other Cat iron. Time will tell, though... I will start collecting pics on logging here in Finland! My cousin owns a logging outfit here. He uses Ponsse- harvesters & forwarders! Here is link to Ponsse- the type of equipment he uses. http://www.ponsse.com Thanks, cat3208.
You must be the only other guy besides me who likes the Cat 3208.
Well at least we finally got both of you in the same spot so we can keep an eye on what your doing ointhead
Well now there's three of us to watch, cause I never had a problem with the 1160's or the 3208's/
I just bought my first 3208 this year hope I have good luck w/ it. It is weak as well water so maybe it'll last a long time. We had one in a fire truck that was very powerful, and didn't last.
Cat 3208 Well sounds like this thread is drifting some-what... But lets talk about the Cat 3208 then. Past experience say's that; Cat 3208 is very reliable! I was on several jobs where we ran scrapers(5-10 scrapers) 6-12 hour/days. Most of time old Cat 613b's. The scrapers ran 12+ hours a day! Broke for lunch and kept them running! As far as remember- no major problems at all!!! Some of the newer stuff have had electrical problems! And it costs a major amount of bucks to own! The old Cat 225b's seemed to run forever also! As some of the old stompers!:notworthy
Prince George, BC
Now that's what I'd call a short logger.the one we have here is just a plain ole 5 axle long logger.but it's cat yellow
Very nice truck indeed!! I hope its durability is there also. I wonder how much diesel the CT11, CT13, & CT15 is using? The spec's look great. www.cat.com/truck/CT660 I also wonder what the purchase price is ? With the CT15-sounds like it would make good lowboy combo...I do like the modular-type front-end. Just have to replace broken section only! Also- thanks SPMiller for posting the pics! Very nice indeed! cat3208
seen one hauling logs through the bay area the other day. So they do haul them, how well and how reliably? Only time will tell
That's true... Thanks for commenting...
I heard that petersen (cat) had one built as a 6 axle long logger this year at the oregon logging show in eugene. Three complaints i heard 1) front tow hitch is massive but has very little behind it to tie it into the framerails, 2) cab is big (good) doors either are small or don't open very far, 3) doors have no cam over or detent in the hinges to keep the doors in full open position. Just what i have heard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!theironoracle
That's true about the doors imo.They are really tight under the hood and seem like they would be a pain to work on.
:notworthyThanks for commenting... I hope somebody from Cat is listening? Things that could be fixed in the next year or so... cat3208
the cabs are pure international so i would think they would suffer from the same annoyances that you would have from the international cabs.
The doors don't open very far. Was at the OLC and climbed in it once they got the keys for it. They had it locked for a while with the keys off-site Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
that will be a huge failure on caterpillars part of using an international cab. my current service truck is a 2003 international 4300 (not the old style cab) and it is junk! has now just 100,000 miles on it, mirrors are unsafe to back up with because they vibrate so bad, cab is way noisey from wind and vibration and engine, removable dash pieces are coming off there push connect pins, sun visor will not stay latched in its little holder, steering column has horrible adjustement, i do like the forward visibility, and realy who puts wing windows on a truck cab i thought that went out in the early 90's really messes up any chance of using those crappy mirrors on and on, i feel like i almost broke that soap box. i can't wait till i can get another kenworth................theironoracle
I'm pretty sure the whole truck is built by international an branded as a cat. I kinda thought this thread was a joke at first, talking about the "new" cat truck.....guess not.
One thought I had is... I have 3 IH trucks, and a few pieces of Cat equipment; I hate the local IH dealer but the Cat dealer is great to do business with...just a thought for what it's worth.
My friends in the trucking game said that for construction it has A severe problem w the front bumper (hooks) being almost unusable? I have only seen three running around the bay area of cali. One hook truck and two semis... I myself am not A big fan. I like the look of the W900/T800 or Pete gear myself..
That's true! I have found out the same at PDX Cat- they provide great customer service & are very knowledgeable. They also stand behind their product! Lets hope Cat is listening & addresses all of the mention in the previous threads! Thanks everybody!:notworthy
3208s nothing wrong with them if they were well looked after; ie coolant inhibitor and oil changes at 200hrs in a 225 or 613 they would do 12000hrs before being touched. I even sawwith my own eyes one in a truck pull 55000kg up a 10% grade and its owner skiting that it never even took the cobwebs of low gear ! No one else has ever made a engine that would boogie to 3000rpm and still pull like a schoolboy at 1400rpm [peak torque] On a dyno a good one would put out 215hp and 520ft/lb of torque. :notworthy Anyhow back to the great new caterpillar truck, a few have been sold into NZ, have yet to see any in logging, but a lot of people will be watching, so will be very interesting to see. A lot of people here worshiped kenworths with C15s or C16s so they have a hard act to follow. With regard to International Harvester. IH of Australia made the "S and T" line series of trucks for down under and they were absolutely the making of many a contractor; logging, earthworks, heavy haulage etc; as one chap said 'a poor mans kenworth' Just a pity that IH Australia seemed to run out of steam. A lot of people will be watching the cat truck !
:iagreeThanks for agreeing about the 3208's. You said it, the mechs say it, & I have seen it & operated it! Preventive maintenance is the big key on anything! A family member was field service service for Cat(20+yrs) on the heavy equipment side of it. He said the same thing... I think once people buy the trucks- they will likem a lot! Plus if they already have Cat iron then it makes it more worth while!:notworthy
I think the biggest selling point is the liberal cat financing. Jury is still way way way out on the CAT made lower blocks with the binder injection system and head resting up top.
:spongebob opcorn opcorn:notworthy:notworthy
Here is a pic of a CT 660 towing a chip trailer! Looks good from my end... Thanks!
Here is a link to Cat CT660! http://www.drivecat.com/ Enjoy! Thanks!
Here's a picture of a CAT CT660 Logtruck
squamish bc
Gentlemen on Vancouver Island there is a Contractor called Horsman Logging and they have the logging version of the Cat truck. Unit is a tri drive pulling a tri-axle trailer from bush to dump at Duke Point. I do not know much about it but I will do some fact finding. I drive a 1999 Freightliner with a 3408 cat motor. I had an in line done on Jan. of 2012 at 900,000 Kim's due to a failure of "0" rings on #6 cylinder. Rated at 425 hp,she pulls a super B'train and I think it is an excellent engine.
Is there any information on this unit?
Blk prince you have a 99 freightliner with a V-8 CAT? i gotta see some pics of under the hood
packing a 122 madill
Dualie ,I made an error,I have a 3406,sorry about that.
Was just at a big Truck Show in Toronto. Cat had a bunch of trucks on display. I went over to tease the rep. I asked him how he likes having Cummins aftertreatment equipment on his Cat engine, that is really an International, that is really a MAN. He just rolled his eyes. So I asked if there was any truth to the rumours of Cat's return to truck engines. he smiled, nodded yes and said "I can't say anything, but there should be an announcement in 18 months." Said they are splitting from international and will build their own truck. But they do own the rights to that Paystar cab. Said the partnership didn't work out. They were supposed to have three truck models and two engines. So they are going to move on, on their own. Be interesting to see what comes.
Just a pet peeve, if its supposed to be a "Vocational Truck". Why the aerodynamic fenders and the useless plastic aerodynamic headlights. Im sick of replacing those things on various Volvos and Peterbilts. Good old glass works just fine for me. These arent Cadillac Escalades, They are working trucks. End of rant, Excuse me.
My thoughts from the first time I saw one. Where are the checker plate fenders you can touch without breaking?
Forget the fenders, they can be "repaired" it is those wrap-around front bumpers that get folded in in a tight turnaround and snag the tires. Vocational trucks as we know them just do not exist anymore, these are highway trucks without the sleeper. No more, no less. I still remember a diamond plate roof on the cab with diamond plate fenders and biscuits over a walking beam. A 5X4 transmission behind a 250 Cummins with the exhaust out the hood. NOW THAT IS A VOCATIONAL TRUCK!
Sounds like something from the ol' St. Regis days.
Dont forget, the wraparound bumpers are there to agitate the mechanics too. Always gotta be climbing over them no matter which way you try to turn the wheel when you shut it off. If they would just give us an honest 6 inches to step through. Grrrr.
They had Macks at St. Ole. I drove a worn out St. Ole Mack at Mineral in the summer of 1966. Weyerhaeuser Snoqualmie had them though, KWs.
The mack's are dead they are now P.O.S. volvo's A DISGRACE TO THE DOG STILL ON THE HOOD I own about dozen of them
I have hear the same thing except for an announcement would come out within the next few months. I'm excited to see what happens.
Sorry YOURS didn't work out for you. I haven't had the same results and like them very much.
Haha where do I start. I have a 2013 ct660 6 axle dump. I like the truck but it has been plagued with issues. It has 120k so is is still a newer truck. It has had transmission seals,injector pump,3 dash clusters, and a LOT of regin issues. And not to mention 3 slack adjusters. Like I said love the truck but when warranty is done so is the truck. It's in the shop at least once a month.
Welcome to the world of every single truck built with emissions garbage after 2006.
The re burner,good for the tow truck guys business.i was taught if you got nothing good to say don't say nothing.i got nothing to say.
I have noticed a lot of cat trucks in auctions lately along with internationals
That is a pretty sharp looking truck. Any idea if it works as good as it looks?
Who cares? It'll be paperclips before my 9900's stop running. There is a reason you can't find trucks of the '97 thru '02 vintage. The ones that are still going are being taken care of and if one comes on market it's gone in a few days. If you're a small o/o you cannot afford one of these useless, pollution saving money pits. Pardon my disgust, but I have lived it, and have talked to tooo many to list here that have almost went broke as well. There are good ones out there, but so few and far in between. My '05 has the EGR unplugged and seems to work OK, for now.
I hear you. I should have put a sarcasm tag at the end of my question. My 2000 T-800 with a 3406E runs every day while I see new trucks of every make come in on the hook. I would be broke now if I had a new truck. I have one more year of exemption left due to the CARB laws and I don't know what to do then. Even if I could afford to buy a new truck, it would probably break me with downtime.
Back in the 1970's early 1980's when I started driving off highway logging trucks most had V12-71 Detroits or Cummins in them The V12 especially ran at high RPM's to get any power out of them , if you let them drop under 1600 RPM pulling hard it was hard on the bottom end . In 1986 I got a new highway truck with a 3406 Cat in it , we got pamphlets and tapes to instruct us to run at lower RPM's the bottom end was tougher , engines had lots of torque and it was all about saving fuel . It worked , made good time , didn't shift as often , got good fuel mileage . Drive the same way with the new engines and you plug up the exhaust system filter . Drive it like you hate it , keep the RPM up , burn lots of fuel and the exhaust filter stays clean , if your on a job that causes you to have the engine idling for long periods of time , you've got a plugged exhaust filter . Shimmy1 is right they quite making real truck engines in 2002 or 03 .
Move out of that God-forsaken state?? :waving
Cat trucks have been a huge flop in Australia from what I am told. Don't see too many on the road and I am told that the Cat yard in Tullamarine, (in the State of Victoria), has them lined up by the rows waiting for non existent buyers. From what I can work out, they are specced roughly 12 months behind most other truck brands as far as emission standards and price wise don't stack up too well against the other makes.
you want sell it now before it becomes an antique i'm sure we could find someone to take it off your hands for you:yup
Ahh, you're all heart. I need to hang onto it. When it comes time to escape from Kalifornia, I need a truck that won't break down before I can make it to the border.
that's right thats why there a yard full of R models at my shop