Curious about shotgunning with the 124. Has anyone on here done it and how well did it work what is the best way to setup and operate the machine when shotgunning? I have a fair idea in my head on how I wanna do it but just wanted to hear from people that have done it before.
Many unknown variables - how big are the trees you are going to pull (have you been given one of those forgotten gullies of jumbo trees), what is the size of the landing, can you get a mobile tailhold down the bottom etc ? Are there tracked bases to clear, process, sort and load the trucks ? A look through a few videos gives you a bit of an idea of shotgunning with a carriage on a swing yarder. http://youtu.be/-MtQY2cQfaI (acme on TBird swing) http://www.wireropes.co.nz/forestry/acme.htm http://www.fortronics.com/the-choker-system/in_action/index.htm/#video If it is a good slope area a Danebo would be ok http://nzmachinery.co.nz/danibo-shot-gun-carriage-o8374-0.html
The wood is not that big 2.5tonne max. good deflection for a shotgun system and I've got mobile tailhold access for the whole piece. I can log this particular setting with the msp or scab it. But I want to give the shotgun system a go and see how well it works as I have never tried it. Main thing I was curious about is slowing the carriage on the out haul I would think the best way would be to slow it with the regen leaver rather than the foot brake? obviously dont want the tail engaging when going into outhaul regen though. I have a shotgun carriage that a mate has given me to borrow so I'm sorted there
Prolog; 12001 has a switch on the dash to switch to 'skyline' mode. I guess this turns a couple of relays off and that this is the machine that can been seen shotgunning on youtube. I am not sure how it has been done but it is an example that is close to hand so easy to check out.
I have been doing abit of research and it looks like it was an option to have that setup in the 124 unfortunately our machine didn't come with it. Is that the 120 owned by shaws that doug green is operating ? In theory it should be reasonably simple to set it up.
Yes it is