Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D series backup Camera??

Pineacres1 ยท 2017-11-29 08:37

I just bought a Cat 249D rental unit that was pretty loaded up minus the backup camera, which displays on the LCD screen with the gauges. I tried to get the dealer to throw it in but that wasn't happening. So I'm wondering if somebody here who has one can post a pic of how the camera mounts to the back door (easy part) and where the camera plugs into the wire harness. I'm just curious if there is a way to make a generic camera work. I know I know, Its a CAT so that's probably unlikely but u never know till u you ask.. Thanks

Replies17
  1. #192U 34062017-11-29 09:50

    There's 2 different S/N prefixes listed for the 249D and both actually list a camera kit. Looks like you simply punch out the blanking plate in the back door and install the camera there. It appears the camera utilizes its own harness too so you'd likely need to install that seperately. I don't know if you can simply plug the camera into the monitor and have it work or if there needs to be any reprogramming/parameters changed through ET to enable the camera. I've never actually installed a Cat backup camera kit so I'm not 100% sure what is involved. Might be best to speak with your parts and service departments at the Cat dealer to find out what's all needed to do it yourself. The install looks pretty straightforward though. I have installed a couple generic automotive backup cameras. I just bolted the camera to the rear door and fabricated a bracket to mount the monitor in place of the rearview mirror. (No drilling or welding on the ROPS!) The generic ones we installed were not as good as the OEM though IMO.

  2. #2cat3202017-12-04 11:12

    I have the same issue just got a 236D with same type of set up camera and harness are very pricey I believe it is all plug and play but you know never seams to work that way.

  3. #3grandpa2017-12-04 13:56

    Well I wouldn't buy one from Cat.... got a D series and the camera isn't worth a sh$$.

  4. #4popsiclepete2017-12-04 17:36

    A few year back. two or three, I had installed a Voyager AOM713 on my Case SR200. I'm happy with the Camera but Yesterday the cheap plastic bracket that mounts to monitor broke. It can be fixed with a piece of steel and a little ingenuity but why would they use a piece of S--t plastic piece expecting to last. as for the camera and monitor I would miss it if i didn't have it.

  5. #5KSSS2017-12-04 20:51

    I have been demoing a CAT 272D and I have to agree, the camera is not that great, better than nothing especially since there is zero visibility to the rear. After market might get you a better camera and a better price.

  6. #692U 34062017-12-04 21:03

    The aftermarket ones we tried out made Cat's camera look like 1080p lol.

  7. #7Metalman 552017-12-08 17:23

    We have a Cat 272D & the BU camera has been foggy for the last while. We took it out today & it does not appear to come apart to clean the inner part of the lens. Just wonder if anyone else has had that problem? The machine only has about 900 hrs on it & I checked & a new camera is over $500. We may end up going that way for as KSSS said above a couple of posts the visibility behind is nil.

  8. #8One guy construction2017-12-20 15:41

    I have a 259D that i just had my CAT dealer install the cat camera on it. so far it works good. there is several good wireless cameras on the market that we have installed on trucks that have been fine which would be another option for you.

  9. #9koona2018-06-27 23:04
  10. #10heymccall2018-06-27 23:55

    If you have the advanced monitor, the camera kit is only $413. 388-8284

  11. #11heymccall2018-06-28 00:12

    Wiring

  12. #12heymccall2018-06-28 00:20

    Kinda confused... Whole kit 388-8284 $413 Camera in kit list 336-6684 $530 Is camera in kit?

  13. #13Nige2018-06-28 17:18

    According to what I can see the 326-6684 camera IS included in the 388-8284 Kit. Both the attached Special Instruction and another separate source say the same.

  14. #14KSGENE2019-05-14 08:09

    If i purchase this kit will it enable the display to use the camera or does the dealer have to turn a feature on?

  15. #15kshansen2019-05-14 10:03

    Good question, I don't see anything about that in the installation instructions. Would think Cat would mention that if something needed to be done to activate the system. Attaching the full instructions sheet below:

  16. #1692U 34062019-05-14 10:10

    I never paid much attention as I've never installed a camera kit. Something tells me there is a setting to enable/disable it under "configurations" in ET.

  17. #17kshansen2019-05-14 10:13

    Did a little more digging on SIS and found a different kit that uses the same camera 336-6684. It's the kit for a 272D2 Skid steer. It does have a little more information at the end of the instructions, see below: