Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D Series Quick Couplers (Electric vs. Hydraulic)

pbd05 · 2026-01-02 21:58

Did Cat ever dial in the electrically actuated quick couplers on the D series, or did they just abandon it and switch back to Hydraulic? From what I can find, somewhere around 2015 lots of models started showing up with hydraulically actuated couplers. Would anybody have a guide to upgrading to the hydraulic style on a machine that came with the electric one?

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2026-01-03 07:46

    Both the electric and hydraulic couplers were, and still are, attachments. In other words optional extras. The standard coupler is still manual. I think what has likely happened is that as a result of the long-term unreliability of the electric coupler more people who want a powered coupler are choosing the hydraulic version. Maybe Cat have dropped the electric offering completely but I don’t know that for sure. I’ll take a look for any instructions regarding replacing an electric coupler with a hydraulic one.

  2. #2Nige2026-01-03 09:15

    Update. There are a bunch applying to every Series from B models onwards. Are you looking to upgrade electric to hydraulic.? If so need the machine model and Serial Number prefix.

  3. #3pbd052026-01-03 09:30

    I'm contemplating doing the swap on RCX00435 since it's electric. I have a 246D here with a hydraulic kit on it that's going down the road shortly that I could use to swap over. When looking at SIS I found kit 603-0397 which is to upgrade from manual to hydraulic, M0107667 are the installation instructions for that. It doesn't appear as though there's a kit to go from manual to electrical though.

  4. #4Nige2026-01-03 10:40

    I think you're right. It doesn't appear as though that option was ever "a thing".

  5. #5pbd052026-01-03 17:37

    Would you have access to the M0107667 install instructions by chance? I'm curious to see what all is involved the swap.