Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT D13000 Pony Motor Electric Start Conversion

HardRockNM ยท 2025-01-01 09:29

We've got a 1953 Gardner Denver piston compressor powered by a CAT D13000. Naturally it's got a pony motor which I'm not especially happy about, but given the size/weight/complexity of removing the pony, and subsequent loss of extended warmup/cranking, a full-blown electric start conversion isn't in the cards. I know it's an ancient old-technology engine, but the thing is positively miserly on fuel, runs well (after valve spring replacement and lash setting), and only set us back about $4,000. No aftertreatment or electronics to break, either. Our other compressor is a much smaller electric rotary screw unit that can only run a single drill; the big G-D can run three jacklegs or our air track drill. What I am interested in is converting the pony itself from hand crank to electric start. The compressor has no electric system and the pony uses magnetos, so we can just use a shop battery or another piece of equipment to crank it - no need to fiddle with installing an alternator. I'm looking for part numbers and general advice on what starter to choose. Pointers on a modern oil for the D13000 would also be appreciated.

Replies7
  1. #1Check Break2025-01-01 11:04

    Time to check out parts manuals on eBay to see if a later model could be had with a starter.

  2. #2cuttin edge2025-01-01 11:08

    Is there anyplace you can get an electric impact onto it?

  3. #3HarleyHappy2025-01-01 12:12

    I have found a used Milwaukee Hole Hog to be useful in high torque applications.

  4. #4Tyler d4c2025-01-01 13:01

    Pull the pony off and put a big air starter on it perhaps. Just start it with the other compressor

  5. #5PeterP92025-01-01 16:18

    Id slap a delco remy starter generator on the pony. Any pony motors I have dealt with have been rope start, but I believe the factory ones came with starter generators. probably the most simple way to Convert it to electric start imo.

  6. #6pittsburgh cat man2025-01-01 17:46

    pony looks like a d8 2u i beleve some of those had electric stary on pony but I'm thinking they were 6 volt.

  7. #7obsolete2025-01-02 10:40

    You can put the electric start on that pony, as pictured in the second post, they are somewhat hard to find, but there are some available, just have to start searching. Those electric starters are 6 volt, but run fine on 12 volt with no problem, so your idea to use the shop battery and skip trying to put on a charging system works good in a situation like yours.