Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat d3

jaymack · 2024-03-21 16:48

Hi Have a cat d3 23y, Do you have to remove hydraulic tank and fuel.tank to change steering clutches and brakes? If so can lift them.up high enough so you don't have to remove rops? This machine has rust and I am concerned about getting it apart, Thanks

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2024-03-21 17:07

    First two steps in the procedure to R&I the SCABS...... a. remove hydraulic tank b. remove fuel tank. I would recommend you get hold of a Service Manual. Search for Cat Publication SENR7911. Here's one on eBay . FYI A new copy would be priced just shy of $500.

  2. #2Welder Dave2024-03-22 03:47

    I think 23Y is a D3B not a D3. You don't have to remove the tanks. Some people have said to loosen the bolts and you can tilt them outward to get a little more room but they hit the ROPS and make very little difference. You can use a come-a-long on the rops to pull them. You need to wrap about a 3' sling around them to lift them. I bought a 1" wide sling at it was perfect. It really helps having a helper. When you lift them you need to twist them a bit while lifting to get them past the opening. They won't come straight up. A little tricky but not too bad. Tanking the tanks off would be a way bigger hassle. You'll probably need to heat around the square socket drum plugs on the side. I think they're above the tracks. They have to come out so you can get at the bolts attaching the clutches to the final drives. You barely have to turn the sprocket to get to the next bolt. If you can put blocks under the back of the machine high enough to just fit under, you can use the blade to lift the machine off the ground. Then a Jackall type jack works great to jack on the track pads to turn the sprocket. It was a while ago I did mine but pretty sure you take the inner bolts and nuts off first so you can turn the clutches to the right position to get at the bolts. Then take out the outer bolts. You can take out some of the outer bolts when doing the inner ones but need to leave a few so you can still turn the clutch assembly. It's not a real bad job.

  3. #3jaymack2024-03-22 08:03

    Thanks for the information, Your knowledge really helps, I have done john deere clutchs and brakes never had a cat, I was hoping that I didn't have to remove tanks,this machine has rust,do I have to disconnect piping?tanks will be drained ,Plan on doing a total service while I am working on it, Thanks again

  4. #4AllDodge2024-03-22 08:14

    Did mine in 2019, same machine as yours in this link HeavyEquipmentForums

  5. #5jaymack2024-03-22 08:15

    Another question This machine has only 1 reverse speed is it still a d3b? 4 post rops Pedals hang,

  6. #6Welder Dave2024-03-22 16:02

    Yes. The 3F/3R was an option even on D3C's. AllDodge's post is excellent. You more likely have dry brakes though. Wet brakes were an option and from what I've seen wet weren't nearly as common.

  7. #7Nige2024-03-22 16:08

    Yes. 23Y, 24Y, 27Y, & 28Y are all D3B models. 23Y/24Y tractors have a 3F/1R transmission. 23Y tractors are standard track gauge 24Y tractors are LGP (wide) track gauge. 27Y/28Y tractors have a 3F/3R transmission. 27Y tractors are standard track gauge 28Y tractors are LGP (wide) track gauge.

  8. #8jaymack2024-03-22 19:09

    Thanks for the help