Hey guys first post, need some advice. Got this Cat D3 Dozer that is having fuel problems, I believe it's an 83 with direct injection. I've done a compression test 400psi for each cylinder. And also have put Chinese ebay injectors in it and fuel filter. Still runs on only a couple cylinders, throw white smoke. When I pull the injectors, #1 and #2 are wet. Need some advice before I throw cat injectors at it. Been reading it could also be the transfer pump as well. Anybody have any advice on these 3204s? Tia
You have a low compression problem. 400 psi is not making compression auto ignition.
And if you want machine-specific detailed information it would help to post a Serial Number.
If you got 400psi cranking a cold motor you have good compression. Were the same two cylinders missing after you changed nozzles? Try changing nozzles to different cylinders . If you have a fuel injection shop near by take both sets of nozzles there and have them checked. you can check transfer pump pressure at high idle should be about 30 psi. Find the problem before throwing more parts at it . Bob
Super bad idea. This is unburned fuel. Again, unburned fuel. There is only 2 ways that happens.........either the compression is too low, or the injectors are not atomizing the fuel.
Where abouts is the transfer pump, I'll check it out
Yeah I know they were an 8th of the cost of oem cat.. lol I was injectors are junk. When I afust them while its running, I can get the white smoke to turn black and hit better.
What's normal compression on a healthy 3204 ?
No blowby when idling just rough and smokey
Dont have it atm, pretty sure s early 80 di machine
400 psi on all cylinders? What you're describing sounds like a blown head gasket between two cylinders which isn't uncommon on the 3204. You would get bad compression in that case though.
Non turbo 3204 compression ratio is 17:1 I was taught that hard starting occurs in the 430 to 445 psi range which equates to a 860 to 890 def F range. Normal efficient operating range would be in the 950-1200 deg F range. Trying to start an engine say at 45 deg F and 17:1 only makes about 765 deg F. Engine will not fire without additional heat. The old school glow plugs would add about 60 deg F. Figuring cold starts with massive engine heat sink is quite a science. As I am old school I can only offer these verified numbers as Cat does not make use of compression pressure specifications. These are still 16:1 to 17:1 compression ratios. If anyone has better calcs and stats I'm all eyes and ears !!!
Think you'd have to deck the head on these engines ?
At least check it.