We just got a mid-Seventies Cat D3-79U (Mitsubishi build) with what I believe has a bad left steer servo. It had been run deep into the dirt with little to no maintenance by the previous owner(s), and I had to replace a broken recoil spring and complete tensioner assembly. Other than missing recoil spring covers on the left (same as used on the CAT 933B) the engine and hydraulics are strong and starts right up. Steering to the right is fine, as is driving straight. Left steer is not responsive and I suspect a clutch/brake servo problem. My question is how to determine whether it's the pedal actuator or the servo in the final causing the issue. I've noticed looseness in the left pedal mount but have not investigated further than removing the floorboards for inspection. Has anybody out there been through this before? I'm trying to avoid pulling the left clutch/brake cover if at all possible if the problem is the pedal actuator. And anybody have a lead on getting the three recoil spring covers? I have the part numbers that are the same in both the D3-79U and 933B parts manuals. I've tried General Gear out of Idaho and a couple of dismantlers in Texas so far with no luck. As always, any help or pointers are greatly appreciated! -Tom
No replies yet.