Hi All, I have a CAT D3 that started up fine, ran great as usual but wouldn't shut down when the key was turned off. I had to starve it of fuel by turning off the valve back by the tank. Any ideas what my problem might be? Thanks
How about giving us a hint like the S/N? I took a quick look on SIS and get a couple dozen hits for D3.
Sorry, Engine 3046, Serial 5XK21163 Not sure if the pic came through
How about snapping a pic of the engine, fuel inj. pump.. If memory serves me correctly, it has a rotary inj. pump on it.. Zexel I believe.. it has an electric solenoid on the back of it.. Just unhook the connector and see if it shuts down..
I think your right. I'll go out again and take the side cover off and take a pic.
How are these
Why do my pics come out sideways
According to wiring diagram on SIS the fuel shout down solenoid is energized to kill engine. Should be a pink 14 ga. wire #327. Unplug wire and with engine running connect a jumper from + of battery to the spade terminal on the solenoid and engine should stop. There is an "Engine Shut-down Timer" shown in wiring diagram. I'm assuming this supplies power to the solenoid for a set amount of time when key is first turned to "Off" position. Timer P/N is 154-3630. I'll see if I can find a description of operation or test procedure for that.
The timer is probably so if the solenoid is constantly engaged the battery would otherwise drain down. If the 12 volt to the terminal doesn't shut down the engine would that mean the solenoid is bad? And I probably should test if that wire is providing 12 v o shut down to prove the ignition switch is ok.
Here's the wiring diagram section that shows the shutdown timer: Timer is under dash in the machine. Quick look at the wiring diagram shows this: 327 wire is the on that goes to the shut down solenoid 200 wire is a ground wire 359 wire goes to the "shut down fuse" 308 wire goes to the key switch If you would like a complete wiring diagram send me a PM with an email address.
Ok, the wire was pink but couldn't see a number. I removed it and cleaned up the area of oil/grime. Put my meter on the spade connector and toggled the ignition switch. The 12 volts came on when I turned the key to off for about 10 seconds. I then gave the spade connector a little love tap to tighten up the connection and reinstalled it. I started up the dozer and when I shut it down, it shut off normally. I tried it a couple times and all seems to be functioning normally. Thank you kshansen for your help in pointing me in the right direction.
I guess that would be YES to all the above. Could not find anything in SIS to give a description of how the system works or for how long the solenoid is energized.
No problem, now where do I send the invoice for the repair work? :drinkup
I guess my memory isn't what it used to be.. That's an in-line pump.. kshansen.. I know what you mean about "the invoice".. I have a "customer" and I say that with tongue in cheek... He "MIGHT" buy 500.00 worth of parts A YEAR.. who calls EVERY DAY wanting info on injection pump procedures and specs.. I have to stop what I'm doing take time out of my busy day.. look the crap up and fax him the information... if I'm "alittle" late with it.. he calls back and raises hell and asks someone else to get him the info.. SO NOW, theres 2 people doing the job instead of 1.. I got fed up 1 day and asked for his credit card info.. he wanted to know what for.. and I told him.. I don't work for free.. now you have 2 people stopping their production and not getting payed by anyone.. Lets just say, he doesn't call ME, anymore.. He gets someone else on the phone.. BTW> if this forum was about making money>> we'd ALL be eating Gov't cheese...
I can understand the problem of a "customer" ,and I use that term lightly, who wants all kinds of free advice who then probably goes some place else to buy parts because they are cheaper! I spent 45 years working on equipment for money and now just like to do this stuff on the forum for fun and to see if I can still figure things out. And maybe in a small way help make owners better customers for their local suppliers and shops by giving them a better idea of how their equipment works or doesn't work. I often will see some machine like an old D6 Cat sitting with weeds growing up around it and wonder if it was rusting away because it needed some simple repair.
The old service manager at the Honda motorcycle dealership used to help guys out doing their own repairs by splitting the cases for them or pressing a bearing or 2 in. He didn't charge for this and it was just good customer service. I'm surprised they didn't throw a guy I knew out of there. He bought 2 new dirt bikes at a different Honda dealership that was further away but when rebuilding his engine, brought it to the closer dealer to get the cases split. OK, but then he came back and wanted his cylinder honed and this done and that done. One of the mechanics did comment, "Are you going to bring your bike and have us bolt the engine back in as well since we did all the work on engine anyway?" Forums like this are a different though because most are volunteering their experience to help guys out and it is greatly appreciated. Bob/Ont and Nige have been invaluable in helping me with my Cat and saved me thousands of dollars and hours of frustration. The shop that did my engine figured I needed the injection pump rebuilt because the throttle shaft leaked. Bob suggested the seal got hard but there was enough room to install 2 new seals in the cover. A couple of Cat seals is way cheaper than having the injection pump rebuilt.