Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D3 XKY E283-3 Low hyd charge pressure

allen lafrance · 2026-03-12 20:51

Hi everyone, I have this little D3 that has 0 psi charge pressure and a rattling noise in the bell housing. I checked the suction hose and there is no noticeable flow. I think the coupling is gone. Is this normal? 1500 hours.

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2026-03-12 20:58

    Did the machine just suddenlylose all drive.? Not normal at 1500 hours IMHO but I suppose anything is possible where those nylon couplings are concerned. If the coupling has gone you should have zero pressure at ALL the test points on the rear LH corner of the tractor.

  2. #2allen lafrance2026-03-13 13:26

    Yes, the operator told me he shifted into reverse and everything suddenly stopped. He was on a steep slope—about 20 to 30 degrees—and there’s that noise coming from the bell housing too. I checked the load pressure here at the filter, and it’s 0 psi.

  3. #3allen lafrance2026-03-19 14:55

    Just a quick update, guys. Basically, I’m on the road and I had to switch out the bulldozer because I didn’t have the right equipment to remove the engine at the job site. My garage colleague did it, and guess what—the coupling fell off the shaft and got stuck between the coupling plate and the flywheel. The screws holding the coupling to the shaft weren’t tightened properly.

  4. #4Nige2026-03-19 14:59

    We've seen that before........ Can't remember on what machine(s) though.