Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT D330C Overhaul

ms0115 ยท 2016-12-21 07:05

Cat D330C 4B1888 Industrial I brought my power unit in for a inframe. One of the guys in my shop trying to get a head start, dropped the pan and pulled the oil pump and when I pulled the pistons and liners out I realized it has 2 balance shafts that ran off the oil pump gear set. I need to know the procedure for retiming this and can it be done from underneath or will I have to remove the front cover? I also need torque specs, (rods, mains & head)

Replies5
  1. #1kshansen2016-12-21 10:49

    I would strongly suggest purchasing a service manual. Just a quick search turns up these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-CATERPILLAR-SERVICE-MANUAL-D330C-D333C-ENGINE-CAT-REPAIR-/262617036142?hash=item3d2531f56e:g:VfIAAOSwaB5XlOir Then if you need clarification of some details I'm sure people here will be willing to chime-in.

  2. #2ms01152016-12-22 20:13

    Thanks for the information. I was hoping to get it built so I could test run it the Wednesday after Christmas. I do not know how long it would take to get a manual here? If anyone has information on the timing end of it, it would be greatly appreciated.

  3. #3John C.2016-12-23 00:21

    I've only done the four cylinder engines that had the balance shafts. What I saw was that the timing marks only line up once about every twenty seven turns. I had to have the front cover off to put everything back on the marks. I suppose if the crankshaft hasn't been turned since the pump gear was pulled you should be OK. Problem is if you are one gear tooth off you are going to vibrate causing bad problems over time.

  4. #4ms01152016-12-23 06:02

    Thanks John

  5. #5ms01152016-12-23 20:31

    I found the specs on the head, but still looking for the rod and main torque. Any help would be appreciated.