Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fly wheel for racing turkey

Mplan ยท 2016-12-23 04:38

Finally got the fly wheel for my racing turkey.... Looks like it's going to be bangers and mash for xmas dinner now!! Wishing everybody a happy xmas Matt

Replies19
  1. #1kshansen2016-12-23 05:44

    Bangers and mash I understand but "fly wheel for racing turkey" leaves this yank with a funny look on his face! Anywho, Happy Christmas to one and all.

  2. #2Mplan2016-12-23 07:51

    Hard to find,had to trade my bag of welders Sparks and box of charge air for turbo intercooler for it!

  3. #3kshansen2016-12-23 08:21

    Dang that reminds me, it turned winter this week and I still have the summer air in the tires on the Toyota! Guess I'll be busy changing it out today!

  4. #4repowerguy2016-12-23 10:31

    Do you typically just let out the summer air or do you do a by the book flush and refill of winter air? I usually just top off with winter air because there is no place that will take my old air and recycle it in a environmentally safe way.

  5. #5kshansen2016-12-23 10:38

    Well I am going to try recycling it my self this year. Have a hose connected to a large garbage bag to drain it into and seal it up till spring. Then hook the hose to the intake of the air compressor and reinstall in the spring. I also plan on using four separate bags and label them as to the position the tire on the car they cam from so I can be sure to rotate the air from side to side.

  6. #6repowerguy2016-12-23 10:54

    The few times I did a complete air flush, I caught most of it in a pan and just dumped it in a barrel. Fortunately this was several years ago when air cooled deutz motors were common and I reused it in them. The Germans built them tough enough that I didn't bother to strain out the used air. You probably think I'm a hack for doing that but it's just get this fixed and on to the next crisis.

  7. #7Mplan2016-12-23 11:12

    That's why I had the box of charge air for the intercooler,just dunk the old air in and send it through the dpf,recycled! Simple.... Don't know what I'm going to do now!!

  8. #8Hobbytime2016-12-23 11:50

    make sure you use a sky hook to hold those bags, they get heavy and be careful not to dump the bucket of steam on them by accident, made a mess of my summer air that way...and then needed a left hand smoke deflector to clear the air...

  9. #9Ronsii2016-12-23 11:56

    Make sure you add a bit of 'dri-z-air' to the storage bags or the recycled air will go stale, I usually add about one ounce per cubic foot of summer air... winter air will use about 20 percent more.

  10. #10hetkind2016-12-23 12:12

    And of course, you need a left handed monkey wrench to change out the muffler bearing and add new blinker fluid, if the spec isn't unobtanium by now...

  11. #11Tones2016-12-23 16:06

    A tin of compression is always a big help to fix engines and striped paint makes them look good when your'e finished fixing.

  12. #12wornout wrench2016-12-23 17:31

    NO NO NO Monkey wrench on the muffler bearing What kind of a hack are you. The new muffler bearings are metric so you must use the a metric adjustable wrench on them. Best thread ever by the way Had coffee coming out my nose all over my nice new laptop.

  13. #13old-iron-habit2016-12-23 17:46

    Man, Am I behind times. We are allowed to go 10% over posted weight with ag products in the winter when the roads are froze. Until now with my new found knowledge, I have been just rotating the summer air between tires and then topping them off with winter air to the increased tire pressure to compensate for the added weight. Last winter when we took a gander to Southern Caifornia we got stopped at the Califipornia border. In addition to asking if we had any fruits and nuts on board they also asked if we were carrying winter air into California in our tires. After sheepeshly admittting we were, they made me promise to go back into Arizona a minimum of 10 miles and change it to summer air. They were concerned about our winter air causing a cold spell in California. We wanted nice weather while we were there so we compiled. The weather was great the week we were there while Arizona got rain and cold weather. Merry Christmas all.

  14. #14movindirt2016-12-23 18:12

    OIH - How could you do that to the poor people of Nevada?? I've always just topped off with winter air, I guess I've been doing it wrong all this time, makes sense though, I'm sure the trucks would drive better if they had winter air in them. I've gotten behind on my equipment servicing this fall, I'm still running antifreeze in my machinery, As you all know that keeps the engine way too cool in the winter, I just haven't gotten around to draining them and switching to warm water yet, I should get on it soon as it is supposed to be freezing by the end of next week. I find that these new fangled machines need left hand flat head screwdrivers to get the clamps loose, now I have a toolbox drawer full of right hand flat head screwdrivers with nothing to use them on...

  15. #15Willie B2016-12-23 18:15

    I deal with smoke alarms way too often. I was buying dry air in an aerosol can by the case. At Staples they needed my driver's license. I asked why. Well, she says; "Some people abuse it." "How do you abuse it?" I ask. "Some people huff it" she responds. "Don't we all huff it? It's air!" Either way, I had to give my driver's license to buy air. Willie

  16. #16kshansen2016-12-23 20:17

    Despite what one may think that stuff in the "canned air" cans is not really air: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_duster

  17. #17DIYDAVE2016-12-23 20:39

    Actually, I have several garbage bags full of soy based bio-air, for tires, if anybody's interested. I fart it myself, and filter it, myself through a curd of tofu. Sure is a better use of tofu, than a tofurkey...

  18. #18farmerlund2016-12-23 20:47

    :wierdt Now I know why my tires seam to leak when its 20 below, wrong air for the season.

  19. #19Jim D2016-12-26 22:33

    khansen, that is a *good* warning. A while ago, my wife used some 'canned air' to blow clean the gas holes on our 1950 Wedgwood stove, as she has done many times previously with flurocarbon 'canned air'. The new, hydrocarbon, air conflagrated when it reached the pilot-light flame. The new stuff is 'canned inflammable-air'.