Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D333 loader oil filters

nevilley ยท 2018-05-25 00:31

Hi, I replaced the canister oil filters on my Cat 966B loader which has a D333 engine but there is a slight leak around the bottom of the oil cannisters where they both join the housing. This wasn't noticeable until after approx a hour of the loader working reasonably hard. I am wondering if anyone knows the correct toque to tighten the bolts as I went by feel. Not sure to tighten the bolts holding the cannisters down to see if this stops the small leak or if it could make it worse

Replies9
  1. #1Nige2018-05-25 05:09

    Did you replace the O-Rings that seal the canister to the upper housing..? If not the answer is probably there rather than in the tightening torque of the housing. "2 grunts & a groan" on a short power handle was usually enough to tighten that housing. If your filter element P/N is 5S-0484 then the O-Ring for the head is a 2M-8691. While you're in there don't forget to replace the 2F-7062 Gasket that fits the drain plug at the bottom.

  2. #2nevilley2018-05-25 06:48

    Changed all the o ring and gasket but not the drain plug.Both filters have a very small amount of oil around the bottom of the cartridges. Prior to changing the filters there wasn't a drop to be seen. I do notice there is two small bolts at the bottom of the filters on the housing that appear to keep tension on the filters so not sure if I need to touch those two bolts after replacing the filters.

  3. #3kshansen2018-05-25 09:24

    There is a "gasket" at the bottom of the canister actually a square rubber seal ring.

  4. #4nevilley2018-05-25 09:52

    Thanks for both replys, both are interesting. Wonder if the gasket in the drawing would be the reason there is a slight amount of oil at the bottom of the cannisters where they join the housing

  5. #5Nige2018-05-25 12:15

    Are your engine oil filters "right way up" or upside down as shown by KSH in the post above...? just trying to get an idea of where the oil might be coming from, because where it makes an appearance might not be the source of the leak if you see what I mean.

  6. #6kshansen2018-05-25 12:40

    The 966's I recall have the filters as shown in the above picture, you pick the filter out of the top. I'm guessing that if those gaskets at the bottom of the can the filter is in have not been in many years you loosing the top bolt and then tightening it again moved the cans just enough to cause a slight leak. Those bolts at the bottom, there are actually three, two with the "clamps" 8H1495 and in the back one with the "clamp" 1M7350. that one in the back actually clamps both cans the clamp being just a triangle of steel with a hole in the middle. Before removing the cans get the area around then very clean as I recall there is an oil passage in the filter head that crap can easily fall in and be almost impossible to clean out short of removing and disassembling the filter head! This is basically the same filter set-up as used on the very early 988 Cat engines and we had an operator do an oil change and back then the filters had cork gaskets on the ends. Guy did not notice that a piece broke off and fell into the filter head. I did find the piece of cork. It was in the oil passage in the crank and closed off the oil flow to the adjacent connecting rod, not a good thing!

  7. #7cdm1232018-05-25 19:25

    I have had the old gasket stick and seal for awhile then suddenly leak.

  8. #8nevilley2018-05-26 02:43

    Thanks to all above for your replys. I shall follow up all the info .

  9. #9nevilley2018-05-26 02:44

    Same thing with mine, was OK then after a while I noticed dampness at the bottom of the cannisters where they fit the housing.. Wasn't a drop to be seen prior to changing them.