I tried a Google search, but it lead me down the wrong path. Here is my dilemma. I am having a pole barn built and I am in the final planning phases. The barn will most likely be built by the local Mennonites. They do great work here. Before I sign my contract, I want to make sure I have insurance coverage in case of a physical injury to one of the workers. The quote states that I am responsible for the insurance, however the barn is being built before the house and according to my insurance agent, I can't insure a building until after it is built. What kind of insurance options are there to protect me as a land owner? I tried to explain the situation to my insurer today and I think it went over their head and we just couldn't get on the same page. They seem to be used to homeowners insurance (which again I am not entitled to yet). This situation can't be all that unique. Again, I want to make sure I as a vacant land owner have coverage if anyone gets injured on my property.
It seems to me the contractor should be the one carrying their own insurance since you don't take possession of the building until it's finished and paid for in full. I had a pole barn put up and didn't make the final payment until after the building met mine and the suppliers final inspection. There's no way you should have to cover the insurance for the builder/contractor. That's one of the reasons you have a reputable company do any work for you. Not saying the Mennonites aren't reputable but you can't be responsible if a worker gets injured when they're hired as a contractor. That's like saying you should have insurance in case a landscaper hits a buried gas line and the neighborhood has to be evacuated.
You need a different insurance agent. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum , but you need to talk to a professional that knows there business and get insurance. In these sue happy days you need insurance for any job like you are undertaking.
What you are looking for is Workers Comp which you shouldn't be providing, that is the contractors responsibility. Ask the contractor if they carry WC and General Liability. Each state is different but some states allow contractors to waive or self insure WC.
Thanks guys. That is what I was leaning towards. I unfortunately was stuck working all day today and wasn't able to call them or the insurance agent back to get things cleared up. Back at it Tuesday. I may be over complicating all of this. I just don't want to get stuck with my talliwacker between two rocks if something goes wrong. Hopefully you all get to enjoy the longer weekend.
None of the amish work crews I work with carry any workman's comp. It is against their religion - implies a lack of faith. It makes it impossible for other contractors to bid framing work against them, they have to lose $ just to make up for the amish not paying workman's comp. Also amish don't pay any unemployment, or social security taxes.
But if one of them got injured they could still try to sue you. When I was an owner operator I didn't have to have workers comp but I think anytime you have employee's you have to. I did have liability insurance.
You should be able to get an Owners Liablity Policy. We see it required in commercial projects in addition to a contractors GL or Work Comp policy.
You don't need workers comp, you liability on your property and it should have nothing to do with the building or it being done, also have the workers sign a waiver before they start work, citing by your attorney to have drawn up they can't sue you in case of injury and their lack of workers comp. or find another crew to put up your building that does have workers comp. Also find another insurance agent, the one you have now isn't doing his job.
Just an update. I contacted the contractor to talk to them. I did overthink it and should have just waited until the next business day to contact them. The contractor does carry liability and worker's compensation insurance. He provided me with proof on insurance, which I was able to verify. Thanks for everyone's input. Now moving forward.