Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D3B drive question

Digwizz ยท 2008-10-04 09:43

What is causing the right side drive on my D3B to stall under a lighter load than the left side. I'm hoping it's just an adjustment, but I'll have to live with whatever you guys can tell me. Thanks

Replies2
  1. #1LonestarCobra2008-10-06 20:14

    It has been a long while since I was into a D3B, but best I remember it has dry steering clutches. The release bearing on each clutch tends to get to where it does not move in and out very well. When this happens, the steering clutch may be partially disengaged, causing the steering clutch to slip. The discs and plates in the clutch may be worn out causing it to slip under load also. Usually on these machines that release bearing which is a ball bearing that only can be installed one way due to the thrust, shells out causing the steering clutch to stay engaged when trying to turn, and then the brake stalls the whole machine to a stop or close to it. Maybe this can help you out. Good luck. :Banghead

  2. #2Greg2008-11-02 20:16

    In other words, get your manual and take it apart.