Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D3B fuel leak on injection pump

Rocky River ยท 2018-03-01 00:20

I have a fuel leak coming from the #3 bonnet seal on the injection pump, question is do i need to have the pump rebuilt or can this be performed on the dozer?

Replies7
  1. #1thepumpguysc2018-03-01 06:40

    On the dozer.. if theres room.. most times its just an oring.. other times the bonnet has eroded & needs to be changed.. they're cheap..

  2. #2Rocky River2018-03-01 06:57

    Thanks, i bought the orings and bushings from Cat. Also i got the spline tool to remove the bushings, only issue i have is ive never done this before and not quite sure of the correct process to change it out.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2018-03-01 11:56

    Clean & blow off the area GOOD. Remove the injector line & get it out of the way.. {slight bend} Get a socket or something that will fit over the snubber [middle piece} but fit around the bonnet.. now smash the hell outta it 3-4x to break it loose from all the crud.. Blow it off again.. NOW, insert the tool & wack IT w/ a hammer a couple of x to seat it.. NOW, use an impact to break it loose.. you only get about 2 tries.. then the bonnet strips out.. IF that happens, your up the creek.. Good luck.. The torque on the new bonnet is 90-110 ft lbs.. I go 90.. & if she weeps, ease it up 10..

  4. #4kshansen2018-03-01 13:01

    Have to love the precision process that includes: "smash the hell outta it 3-4x to break it loose from all the crud.. Blow it off again.. NOW, insert the tool & wack IT w/ a hammer a couple of x to seat it.. NOW, use an impact to break it loose" I would expect Cat to at least spec. the weight of the hammer! Of course those instructions are from someone who has been there before not some engineer in a white shirt who has never touched a pump that has had dirt or water on it!

  5. #5Rocky River2018-03-01 13:25

    I appreciate it, thank you. I will update when i get done.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2018-03-01 16:37

    And THAT's IN THE SHOP.!!!

  7. #7d9gdon2018-03-01 20:33

    That is usually my first instinct when working on delicate stuff too. Patience? I don't have time for that LOL.