Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D3B pinion flange press

03spfld · 2025-05-23 13:04

Has anyone pressed the pinion flange On a cat D3B without the special tool from cat. Thanks

Replies8
  1. #1HeavyMetalRepair2025-05-23 20:06

    If you can provide more info as to which pinion flange and a serial number I’m sure someone would be able to help you. There is a work around to some of cat tooling and some of it can be made. Sometimes cat will provide an “ft” tool number for fabricated tool, which can be made. Sometimes you just have to buy the tool they refer to. And if it’s a pretty basic tool like something you might use to press with, they are pretty affordable. Also post a pic of what you’re working on.

  2. #203spfld2025-05-23 23:35

    The serial number is 27Y04024. After you remove the steering clutch/brake assembly it’s the pinion Flange that bolts the clutch assembly Onto the final drive. Thanks

  3. #3Nige2025-05-24 09:29

    See the attachment. Is this the tooling you are looking for.?

  4. #4pittsburgh cat man2025-05-24 10:03

    There isn't really much to the tooling to press the flanges other than the ram and pump. the adapter and the sleeve and a grade 8 bolt and a 30 ton ram is all you need to put them on

  5. #5Welder Dave2025-05-24 22:46

    I didn't have any leaking so never changed the seals when I did the steering clutches on my 931B. I'm not sure if I could have borrowed or rented the tooling to do them.

  6. #603spfld2025-05-25 08:47

    Yes sir Nige, that’s it. I wondered if just a Porter power would work, didn’t know if the housing could take the “push”. Thanks

  7. #7Nige2025-05-25 12:45

    You need a short "pancake-type" cylinder. It doesn't have to be double-acting as shown in the illustrations because you are only pulling in one direction. The height of the cylinder will determine the length of the bolt required. The 7B-7181 Bolt specified in the procedure is a 1" dia 14TPI which is not a standard thread size. However it doesn't have to be that thread if you have someone manufacture an Adapter based on the 7M-7237 but with a different thread in one end The thread in one side of the 7M-7237 adapter must be the same as the thread on the shaft which I think is 1-1/2" dia x 12TPI but that would need to be checked. The thread in the other side of the Adapter fits whatever bolt you decide to use. A 1" dia x 12 TPI UNF Grade 8 bolt would probably be about right. In simple terms the Adpater screws on to the end of the shaft and the bolt screws into the other end of it. The 7M-7238 Sleeve is nothing more complicated than a short length of thick-walled pipe of a appropriate diameter that will sit snugly on the lip of the flange as shown by the red arrows. Its length will be determined by the length of the Adapter. The only other thing apart from that is a thick circular washer to go between the had of the bolt and the cylinder. If you have a machine shop local to you they could probably knock up the adapter pretty simply. The 5P-2996 Puller (Cylinder) is superceded by 6V-3170. Measurements as follows:- Outside Diameter - 5.5" Height - 3.5" Stroke - 0.5" Centre hole diameter - 1.3" Max. working pressure - 10,000 psi. Max Load - 55 Tons.

  8. #803spfld2025-05-25 13:27

    Thanks very much Nige, I’ll see if I can get one of these made up.