Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D3B Steering Clutch Removal

RossEagar ยท 2022-09-24 22:06

I'm trying to repair the steering clutch on a D3B dozer, but struggling to get it out. I've removed the bolts on both the power side and the drum side as well as all the linkage for the clutch and the brake, but it seems like the assembly is wedged between the two sides. On my D5, the drum will slide inward once loose giving a little more room to lift it out. I haven't got too rough with it yet, but should the drum slide in or is there some other trick to free up the assembly? Also, do I have to remove the brake bracket bolted to the front bottom? Thanks for any help, Ross

Replies2
  1. #1Dave Neubert2022-09-25 08:11

    The brake drum should slide over enough to remove sometimes they can be stuck pretty good on the flanges try giving it a good rap with a hammer

  2. #2AllDodge2022-09-25 10:59

    With mine I had to remove the break with the clutch assy HeavyEquipmentForums