I just bought my dozer (a 1989 Cat D3C) during the summer and this is the first winter I've owned it. It will be sitting outside all winter with temperatures down in the teens. Here is my question: do I need to add anything to the Diesel to keep it from gelling? I first saw someone reference diesel gelling on a tractor forum recently, and had no clue that was a possibility. If I do need to add something, is there an off-the-shelf suggestion I can pickup from somewhere like Tractor Supply you can provide that will work well with my older dozer? I don't want to just get anything on the chance it could damage it. Thank you in advance!
i use HOWES diesel treat to prevent cold weather gelling if i happen to have summer fuel left in a machine that i know i will be using in cold weather. after you add it to the tank, make sure you run it for at least a half hour to make sure the treated fuel makes its way through the whole system. i've been using HOWES for many years in all my diesels from a 2019 GMC back to a 1953 cat #12
Perfect--thank you so much!
Most fuel suppliers change to winter grade diesel so it's good to fill up with that before it gets too cold and try to keep the tank full to limit condensation. Lots of fuel conditioners to choose from for winter use or all year. Let the engine warm up but excessive idling is bad for the 3204 engine in your dozer. If the machine is going to sit for more than about 15 minutes after it's warm, shut it off. In the summer less time than that.
Rather than worry about the change of season I simply just add a good additive year around. This way I don't have to worry about changing the mix in the tank before it becomes a issue. And the additive that I use has a very good lube characteristic also that helps the life of my pump. Maybe Im over doing it but Id rather be safe than sorry.
What do you consider cold? Gelling is rare above 0 with the low sulfur fuel today. From what I have seen.
Mixing summer and winter diesel does lower the gelling temperature.
Another vote for Howe's Diesel Treat. Used it in my boat for years and never had any problems with algae, jelling or water contamination.
We run straight #2 in the off road machines until zero with never a gelling issues. Nothing to worry about in the teens unless you got water in your fuel to freeze in the lines and filters.
I'm going to assume that is "Olive Branch Mississippi" as your location, and if that's where the dozer is, you have nothing to worry about with gelling.
Yeah, I second that, I am from SC and we get into the teens at night sometimes, too. And, keep in mind, it wouldn't damage your dozer, it just wouldn't want to start till the next day.