My D5G XL SER NUMBER WGB 2341 is loosing power when the tank gets down around half. I have cleaned the tank replaced the priming pump and replaced the filter but I am still having issues.
Seems to be a few possibilitys. HeavyEquipmentForums
A very common problem with the G series is that trash will clog the fuel line at the elbow on the line between the fuel tank and the fuel filters.
Something else I have seen do that thing where it works great on a full tank, and not when the level drops is a tiny crack in the pickup tube in the tank, if it has one.
By "elbow", are you referring to the bend in the fuel line indicated by the red circle or somewhere else..?
Thanks.I will look at the elbow tonight.
If you can get that line free at both ends and blast some compressed air @100+psi through it, you might find what's slowing you down when the tank level gets low.
Nige, it's the actual 90 degree fitting at the fuel filter housing located inside the compartment above the left sprocket...in your diagram, it's to the left of the letter "C". Also, the little hand operated priming pump on top of that filter housing can suck air. Cat later made that an electric priming pump.
I took the whole filter assembly off and it was full of junk so hopefully once I get it cleaned out that will solve the problem.
If you found that much in the filter I think maybe a peek in the tank might be in order. Question: You do drain the water & sediment from the tank every 250 hours or monthly (whichever comes first) as per the Operation & Maintenance manual recommendations I assume..? Do you have the manual..?
It is amazing how much trash can get into your fuel tank on these models.