Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT D3C Series III Hydraulic Oil Operational Range

dgeorgi · 2024-08-08 16:40

Hello all, I was using my dozer a couple days back and apparently overheated the hydraulic system. Ive always "thought" the redline for the hydraulic temp was the redline on the picture (approx 205 F). Cat has indicated that the "normal" temperature range must be at the operating temperature of 38 °C (100.0 °F) to 65 °C (149.0 °F) (the green line). I was running in the 185 F range when i lost track speed and sluggish blade controls. All worked fine after it cooled down. Does this sound right,, why make a gauge that does not tell you when your in danger zone?

Replies9
  1. #1dgeorgi2024-08-08 16:43

    forgo Also, used a thermal temperature gauge to measure the hydraulic reservoir temp and it matches the gauge so it appears to be functioning and reporting proper temp.

  2. #2Coaldust2024-08-08 16:49

    Thats hot!

  3. #3Nige2024-08-08 17:04

    Post a Serial Number and I will take a look at the manual to see what it says but TBH I am of the opinion your dealer is talking ****……

  4. #4dgeorgi2024-08-08 17:11

    4KS00297 Hence why I'm asking. But if the gauge range is valid, then i need to know what actually transpired since i was not exceeding the hydraulic temp.

  5. #5Nige2024-08-09 06:18

    Having looked at your O&M Manual I call BS on that. With that particular style of gauge I was always taught that the normal operating range would have the needle somewhere around the "12 o'clock" position +/- a bit either way. On your gauge that would correspond to the 85 DegC/185 DegF point. If the needle entered the hatched area on the right which seems to start at about 95 DegC/205 DegF that was the time to start taking notice. Your hydraulic oil cooler is an air-to-air type, so not dependent on engine coolant temperature. It may pay you to closely inspect the cooling package and get it well cleaned out. Here is an extract from the Operation Manual.

  6. #6dgeorgi2024-08-09 06:40

    I serviced the radiator and hydraulic cooler yesterday. When the tracks got sluggish, the hydraulic temp was at the 12 oclock position (185). Granted, the outside temp was 92 and it was very humid. If the fluid temps were "acceptable range" any idea why the hydraulic system became "sluggish"

  7. #7Nige2024-08-09 07:02

    Either the gauge is reading wrong (which you seem to have already covered but maybe worth another look) or it could be something related to the oil. What grade of oil are you using.?

  8. #8dgeorgi2024-08-09 07:11

    CAT Hydo-10 only. I'm going to pack my thermal thermostat on dozer so I can read temp when its in heavy use. wondering the same thing,,, if gauge is accurate when dozer is working hard.

  9. #9Nige2024-08-09 07:36

    Try taking temps on the inlet & outlet of the hydraulic oil cooler while you are at it - if it is accessible that is.